Hen splayed out in coop - not able to move - now laid egg

Well, what do you know!

1614001896036.png

Thanks - I have done.

Something else that goes through my mind is if there is any harm in her being sedentary for such a long time. Can fluid build up or can she get sores? It might be more of a chronic issue and this is day 3 only, but if anyone knows if that is paranoia or real risk, I'd be grateful.

I will try to get a picture of her standing. She does shake a bit as stands and after about 5 or so seconds, she then sits down and pants. So it must be a big effort for her to actually do it.

With her abdomen being squishy, she may have fluid.
@coach723 uses a detox to help with fluid which may be something you want to look into.

Some folks place their birds in a sling to give them a change and get off their legs. That's something else to look into as well. Some tolerate the sling while others become more stressed.
I was hoping that if expelling an egg was the reason for her inability to walk her laying the egg would resolve the issue. It would seem that there's more going on though unfortunately.

The detox I use is here: not sure about availability in the UK, their website only shows retailers in US and Canada. You may be able to find something similar though. Some health food stores here carry it.
https://lilyofthedesert.com/product/aloe-herbal-detox-formula/
I've had it be very helpful in some birds with ascites, not so much in others. The upside being it's not really likely to do any harm. If you do find something, best to give it room temperature, this one has to be refrigerated after opening, so I let the dose warm to room temp before giving. For this one I give 4 ml a day for up to 7 days. And then repeat if fluid comes back, which it often does eventually.
I've had some birds with a lot of abdominal fat also, and sometimes it can be hard to tell if it's fat or if it's fluid just by feeling. In mine, ascites usually feels firmer than it does when it's a fat pad. If she had a lot of pressure on the sciatic nerve from that egg then it might take a bit more time for the nerve to calm down. Also possible that she had more than one egg in the pipe. I would still do the vitamins and calcium, see if she improves.

Thank you, that's very helpful advice.

She was panting quite a lot this evening so have given her two rolled up towels around her so she has a little more support.

She was a lot more active today but standing up really wears her out. I don't think she is in the safe zone yet sadly.

I'm giving a single tablet of ordinary strength B complex plus this stuff called Rooster Booster, which has A, C, E vitamins.

Thanks again. I will keep posting.

Back
Top Bottom