Hen started laying and I have an egg question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by iLikeMineFried, Dec 21, 2016.

1. iLikeMineFried

iLikeMineFried Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2016
    Northern Wisconsin
    I'm new to chickens so bear with me. One of my girls started laying! Yay! We live in Northern Wisconsin and it is pretty chilly here, so I have started checking the nest boxes a few times a day, hoping to find some treasure; If one is laying, the other 6 should be starting anytime now too, as they are all about the same age. My question is, can very cold/frozen eggs be stored on the counter as long as they are unwashed and not cracked, or do they need to be refrigerated or kept frozen until ready to use? The four eggs I have gotten so far have no cracks and are spotless! If an egg freezes, does it usually crack?

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    If an egg freezes, it will crack. Sometimes the membrane will remain intact, even though the shell has cracked. I feel confident to use those eggs in baking. The texture of an egg that has frozen is a bit tougher. Yes, you can leave them on the counter until you use them.

3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Hello northern neighbor. Totally frozen eggs will crack. Partially frozen eggs will usually turn cloudy inside. I always refrigerate as they stay fresher longer, and I always wash mine. I don't know if partially freezes affects their freshness or not though. Congratulations on your first egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by