1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

hen stays in nest all day.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by joansgirls, Nov 13, 2010.

1. joansgirls

joansgirls New Egg

Nov 13, 2010
    I have been given two hens, cage and all from where I work.
    When we brought them and settled them in my space the honey colored hen is just busy like she should be, but the salt and pepper hen just wants to be on the nest all the time. If a egg is layed it is pushed out of the nest. I have seen her down afew times.
    Could it be that she is cold? I live in the pacific NW and we are getting alittle colder.
    These hen were in a nursery in a greenhouse undercover with no heat on but protected from the rain etc. Now with me they are out doors. I have put them in an area that is protected from the south wind and have but an unbrella over the coop so the rain does not get the coop wet. Could someone help me understand why she is like this?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    She is probably just still getting used to her new home. This could take several days or longer. I would really recommend you do some reading in the learning center and on the FAQ page. I believe they are going to need more protection from weather than what you have.

3. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    They won't need heat in the PNW... my guess is that she's broody.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by