Hen still having raspy breathing after being treated with Tylan 50

RayKat2008

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 24, 2012
North Carolina
Hi all,
My husband and I have only had our hens for about a year and a half now. We got a few new ones at a flock swap which seem to have brought CRD with them. We treated our flock with tetracycline in their water but one hen needed more. We've given her 1 1/2 cc of Tylan 50 injectable for five days now and she's still has a gurgling sound when she breathes and isn't drinking anything. Two quick questions: Is she still contagious to our other hens? We've had her quarantined this whole time. What else can we do for her now that we're at the end of the recommended dosing for Tylan? Any and all advice is appreciated! Thanks! Kathie

Last edited:
As far as the sick bird goes...this is part of the long-term implications of CRD. It is a chronic, life-long condition. She will likely need to be put on a more powerful antibiotic like Baytril, but I believe (could be wrong) the only way to gain access to Baytril is through a vet.

You need to decide what you want to do from here. I would start by having her euthanized and tested. I, personally, have a zero tolerance policy for respiratory illnesses. The cost is too great in the long run- both financially and emotionally. An infected flock takes all the joy out of poultry keeping.

I would recommend you have the whole flock tested. Most of the illnesses that fall under the CRD tag are very contagious. If she spent any time at all with any other members of your "healthy flock" they are likely only asymptomatic carriers at the moment, but at the first sign of stress they will get ill.

I am sorry.

I don't want to cull her....but I need to be responsible for the rest of our flock. She was actually part of our established flock so I think it was one of our new pullets that brought it in and she just fell ill. As far as the new ones we brought in...we were told that they had their vaccinations...now I'm not too sure. Would it hurt to give them their vaccinations?

It may. Any stressor from this point forward has the potential to impact their health. It also won't help. Once they get CRD they have it for life. That's why testing is so important.

Thanks! My hubby is going to cull the one that is still sick. The others seemed to have warded it off with oral tetracycline. Lesson learned: buy your chicks from a reputable hatchery...not a flock swap in a parking lot.

Last edited:
Seriously. I would love to get some different blood into my flock, but any local swaps are just too much risk.
sad.png

I am sorry, and good luck with the rest of them.

Today one of my hens is displaying the same symptoms you described. We've only had chickens for 2 1/2 years, and this is our first sick one. I have her isolated. I was doing research and came across Gapeworm. She is not breathing with her mouth open, but is making the rasping sounds and the gurgling. She also doesn't want to drink or eat and consequently is not pooping. I don't believe in going to extreme measures or expenses unless of course it is our favorite one. :) I need advise. How long do I give her to see if this clears up on its own? If I need to put her down, I just as soon do it sooner than later.

Quote: What vaccinations? There are VERY few backyard people who even know there is a vaccination for CRD, much less who do it. The most common vaccination is for Marek's Disease and another one used is for coccidiosis, both given at hatch. Neither have any effect on CRD.

It may not even be CRD. Could be a virus, in which case, antibiotics won't touch it. With most chicken diseases of the respiratory nature, the bird is always contagious, even if the symptoms go away.

Sorry for your experience. No swaps, not ever, no flea markets, no started birds from anyone, not even those I trust, is my policy. All are hatched here from folks I know who cull automatically for any disease symptoms.

eirwin, you need to start your own thread for this.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom