Hen still laying half-softies

I am not an expert, and in fact consider myself novice to chickens keeping, but my ladies have never ever willingly ate oyster shells when provided as free choice. They do such a good job free ranging that when spring hits their feed consumption decreases dramatically so that I mix their egg shells into their scratch feed and oyster shells directly into their feed. I only do this if I notices the shells are getting thinner.
Are you feeding layer feed or ....??

Are you feeding layer feed or ....??
Yes I feed organic layer feed. I think it is a culmination of issues. Four of the hens are four years old and still laying pretty regularly. It gets 90+ degrees in the summer. Also they free range a good bit, so they get less calcium from their feed. I give them free range oyster shells in bowls in various locations in and outside of the coop, but they go completely untouched, and I've had them for over a year at this point. I will typically get a soft shelled egg every 3-4 weeks, with an increase in the summer heat, so it's not so frequently that I am worried about an underlying health issue yet.

Back
Top Bottom