Hen still setting...11 days after first chick hatched.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ga*chick*, May 29, 2009.

1. ga*chick*

ga*chick* Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2009
    Ga
    The new chick is now 11 days old. [​IMG] I have been making sure there is food and water for both the hen and chick. She has been getting up and eating and drinking. She has also cleaned her nest box.

She originally had 4 eggs(all green) one hatched...when she finally got up, I noticed a new brown egg. She is a RIR..the green eggs are from EE.
    So now she is still sitting on 4. Of the original 4, two were to dark to see thru, and two had masses, I'm assuming she has one dud under her. I just candled the 4 she is sitting on and they are all dark, can't see anything thru them.

So now I'm just leaving her alone. It has been 11 days since chick hatched....I will give her till the 21 mark, again.[​IMG] If no more eggs hatch I will be moving her back to the hen house.

Isolation doesn't seem to be bothering her, she cleans house and takes care of the baby well.

Hopefully I haven't completely confused everyone.

Guess I'm wondering if I am making the right choice or not.
    And just how long this hen is going to stay broody..[​IMG]

2. chickman09

chickman09 New Egg

May 30, 2009
    Greer
    ive seen most breeders only wait 5-7 days if that after 1 has hatched before tossin the duds
    which is how i got 2 free grey game's and they are comin out to be very nice, 1 was born before the rest and the other was the only born

3. ga*chick*

ga*chick* Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2009
    Ga
    she doesn"t seem to be in any hurry to leave. we'll see.[​IMG]

4. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    So are the 3 remaining green eggs from the original clutch? They would be 32 days old now? If so, verrrrry caaaaaaarrrreeeeeffffuuullllyyyyyy remove them and bury them in a deep deep hole. And when did you notice the new brown egg? Do you think it was from the broody RIR or do any other hens have access to the nest?

If any of these 4 eggs are younger than 21 days, and both the hen & the 1 chick are otherwise healthy & thriving under these conditions, then I don't see why not let her continue until the newer eggs are due to hatch.

Is the hen staying on the nest as much as she should? My hens usually leave the nest about 24 hours after the first chick has hatched. If any eggs remain unhatched in the nest, she *might* go back and set on them, but I notice she stays off them for longer & longer periods of time, and they eventually cool. But your hen might be different, willing & able to tend one chick while incubating more.

The other thing to watch for is that the older chick doesn't peck at or hurt the newborn chick/s.
    [​IMG] Let us know what happens! [​IMG]

5. fuzzylonghairba

fuzzylonghairba Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2016
    I have no clue how many eggs were viable, when they were laid or what but three have hatched, I accidentally killed one thinking a month and a half was too long for this hen to set and put the other eggs back. The baby chicks are too adorable for words. little silkies, white with black eyes and black beaks peaking out at us. I can't believe how cute they are. but worried about the hen and worried about the chicks eating how long can they go without getting out? she was going out daily before the first chick hatched now hasn't been out for three days. of course there is food and fresh water just outside the box but she hasn't moved. she is in a zone. anyone? please oh please give me some advice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by