hen stole my brooder chicks.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by killer, Apr 2, 2009.

1. killer

killer Chillin' With My Peeps

our boys let the 4 week old RIR chicks out to play in the grass every day. well wensday the got home from school and let them out and a Buff Orpington hen, we just got rounded them up and claimed them. so after a little fight we put her and the chicks in a place of their own. i hope she will take care of them. She had been setting on golf balls for the last few days since we got her and when she saw them chicks i guess she couldn't help herself.

2. Four Acre Bliss

Four Acre Bliss Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    Virginia
    That's cute, I love Buff Orps. Such sweethearts, I bet yours will be a great mom.

3. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    [​IMG]

Awwwww, I love broodies! They're so happy when they have chicks!

4. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh my, what a great tale! Funny too, you don't need to brood them anymore, nature is- nothing better!!! [​IMG]
    Keep us posted, it really sounds like you got lucky! To bad you couldn't have started out that way!! [​IMG]

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Just observe her and be prepared to take them back if necessary. If she is taking care of them, consider yourself lucky. She'll finish raising them well.

6. killer

them boy love to see a mom take care of babies. but they didn't know she would be so mean to them when they tried to touch them babies. I hope she does good. I went out and looked at them, she has them in the nest box covered up with feathers and hay.

7. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    aww how cool! pictures?

8. momma's chickens

momma's chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    I had this same experience last fall. I ordered chicks from Meyer and they arrived October 30th. They were in the house for two weeks and then I took them out to the hen house with a heat lamp. They were in a divided off portion of the hen house with wire and my barred rock hen, Blackie, somehow, still don't know how to this day, got in there and took over. It was very funny to watch her try to keep 25 two week old chicks warm. Even three months later she was still mothering two of them and keeping them warm under her wings on the roost. It was great!

9. citalk2much

citalk2much Twilight Blessings Farm

Dec 22, 2008
    GR MI: TN bound!
    Ohhhh she got her golf balls to hatch LOL
    Too cute

10. killer

she may not be ready to be mom. i opened the pen and she left them and went out to be with the other chickens and hasn't came back.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by