hen stole my brooder chicks.

killer

Songster
10 Years
Mar 1, 2009
philadelphia,mississippi
our boys let the 4 week old RIR chicks out to play in the grass every day. well wensday the got home from school and let them out and a Buff Orpington hen, we just got rounded them up and claimed them. so after a little fight we put her and the chicks in a place of their own. i hope she will take care of them. She had been setting on golf balls for the last few days since we got her and when she saw them chicks i guess she couldn't help herself.

love.gif

Awwwww, I love broodies! They're so happy when they have chicks!

Oh my, what a great tale! Funny too, you don't need to brood them anymore, nature is- nothing better!!!
fl.gif

Keep us posted, it really sounds like you got lucky! To bad you couldn't have started out that way!!
big_smile.png

them boy love to see a mom take care of babies. but they didn't know she would be so mean to them when they tried to touch them babies. I hope she does good. I went out and looked at them, she has them in the nest box covered up with feathers and hay.

I had this same experience last fall. I ordered chicks from Meyer and they arrived October 30th. They were in the house for two weeks and then I took them out to the hen house with a heat lamp. They were in a divided off portion of the hen house with wire and my barred rock hen, Blackie, somehow, still don't know how to this day, got in there and took over. It was very funny to watch her try to keep 25 two week old chicks warm. Even three months later she was still mothering two of them and keeping them warm under her wings on the roost. It was great!

Back
Top Bottom