Hen stopped laying eggs as of 5 days ago??? question time

Suzy P

Chirping
Mar 10, 2021
Jolene our P. Rock was sitting on her and another hen's eggs and would not come off? (Broody?) I got her off of the eggs and closed all coop doors. And encouraged her to come out to free ranged, enticed her with her fave treat. And after that she seems fine, coming out and free ranging with the other hen and pullets. How ever she hasn't laid a egg since then which today is day 5? Should we be concerned?
DeltaDawnAndJoleneOnChair.jpg

Let me mention this that may factor in. Someone in my flock has round worms. Only found 1 in one poop and 1 in with shed of intestinal lining. Since then they have been treated with their 1st round of SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer.

Hens often take breaks from laying throughout the season. If she was feeling a bit broody that would make her stop. Also many will stop during the heat of summer. The only breeds I've had that would lay nearly continuously were sex links.

Hens often take breaks from laying throughout the season. If she was feeling a bit broody that would make her stop. Also many will stop during the heat of summer. The only breeds I've had that would lay nearly continuously were sex links.
I'm learning more and more each day with our 1st laying hens. Thank you so much for your reply.
They take breaks the heat of summer and in winter. So spring and fall is their best laying times for the un-sexed links. Do I have this correct?

I'm learning more and more each day with our 1st laying hens. Thank you so much for your reply.
They take breaks the heat of summer and in winter. So spring and fall is their best laying times for the un-sexed links. Do I have this correct?
You are correct. Your best production will generally be seen in early spring, than a smaller Spike later in the fall. They also lay the most their first few seasons before beginning to slow down. Eggs will also get a bit larger as the birds get older.

Every hen is different, and some don't follow the general rules. :)

Things like feed and water quality and availability can affect laying. As well as any stress.

Back
Top Bottom