Hen stopped laying

AilsaC

Hatching
Dec 3, 2021
Hi there
I adopted a lovely 1 yr old Isa Brown, Matilda, who was apparently laying 3 eggs per week. I also bought two 9 week old silkie sisters, Patsy and Winnie. Since having them all, Matilda has not laid once. They have been here for about two months. Could it be that Matilda has taken on a mothering role? What can I do?
We’re in Western Australia and it’s the start of summer with lots of lovely sunshine so I doubt it’s a seasonal issue. They are fed well (Matilda has Red Hen layer mix), have grit, lots of water with ACV, they’ve been de loused, and are in a clean run. They free range at least an hour a day (or several hours when I’m home).
Any advice? Thank you

:welcome

Are they housed together?
Any other chickens?

A possible issue (at least in my experience) long term use of ACV can cause calcium absorption issues leading to thin shelled eggs.
I am not saying it is your birds issue but something to be aware of.

If she is housed alone stopping laying could be from stress.

Any other chickens?

A possible issue (at least in my experience) long term use of ACV can cause calcium absorption issues leading to thin shelled eggs.

Hi no she’s got two silkies as friends, and she’s mothering them. I don’t use ACV much.
Thank you for commenting 😊

:welcome Isa Browns have a somewhat limited productive lifespan. Hopefully Matilda is not older than 1 yr old.
So do I! She seems pretty young though. She’ll always have a home with us though - eggs or no eggs!

Attachments

• 80CE2378-D8FE-4BFC-895A-7DC227681B7E.jpeg
    80CE2378-D8FE-4BFC-895A-7DC227681B7E.jpeg
    810 KB · Views: 2

Any other chickens?

I had no idea! This is good to know. How often is it a good idea to offer ACV water?

I had no idea! This is good to know. How often is it a good idea to offer ACV water?

Honestly I don't use it at all anymore. I stopped using it around 7 years ago. Every hen here (and there are an average of 20) live long healthy lives most seeing well over 7 years.

Currently there is 1 that is 9, 4 that are 6, 5 that are 5, the rest are 2 and 3 years old. Total number is 18.

Back
Top Bottom