Hen straining to pass something weird (graphic picture)

LazyOakes

Chirping
11 Years
Jul 5, 2012
Southampton, MA
This morning my 2 year old red sex link came out of the coop as normal for her oatmeal treat, but I noticed a large red and brown mass protruding from her vent. I have her inside and have been applying a warm compress, and she is straining to pass it. Does anyone have any idea what this is and what the best treatment it?

I still have her inside and with the warm compress, she has passed some poop, along with a little blood. I am wondering if this is a prolapse, it doesn't look exactly like the pictures I've seen, so I am unsure..

That looks like a prolapse to me. If I were you I'd research these forums for info on replacing it and keeping it in there. I've got no first hand advice for you since I've never had a hen prolapse. Some folks on here have successfully fixed this issue though.

I think it might be a bowel prolapse rather than the usual sort, though, but I have no proof either way.

Best wishes.

Last edited:
Clean the area really well, put on some gloves, lube your finger with KY Jelly and very gently check for an egg.

-Kathy

Thanks, I'll try that. I cleaned her some a little while ago, but she acted like it was very painful, so I'm giving her a rest now. She is feeling well enough to scratch around in the sun, at least, and I am keeping her separated from the other hens for now.

That's interesting you say that, Eggcessive. I have read before in an old book about sprinkling sugar on a tumefied prolapsed cow's uterus in order to shrink it enough to allow it to be replaced, but I'd guess honey would do the same without running the risk of feeding infections.

I think there's some truth in the idea that feeding sufficient raw natural oils in the diet prevents prolapse, since I've never had a single case of it, and all the cases I've seen have involved a hen with the ratty feathers of a bird whose diet is low in fatty acids and oils.

I have never considered giving my chickens raw oils. What do you suggest?

I feed Countryside Organics layer feed and have been very happy with it. This particular chicken does tend to look ratty a lot of the time, although I have always attributed it to her being at the bottom of the pecking order of a flock ruled by a rather nasty hen.

She seems fairly bright and alert this morning. She is eating well. I got an egg out of her last night and she seemed to feel better after that, but I cannot get the prolapse to stay back in, and it is rather crusty. I'm beginning to think she has some gleet as well.

To give them raw oils, I'd either add it to their feed or feed them treats, stuff like wholemeal bread with cold pressed extra virgin olive oil in it; generally I'd use the bread as a carrier for whatever else I was giving them like finicky powdery things that otherwise wouldn't mix well with feed, or for things I only feed them once in a while, like the once-a-month worming. So in that case I'd mix it with cayenne or similar, but in the case of a prolapse I wouldn't feed her that.

To give some oils, you could put it in something so they can drink it, or add a bit to feed, or use bread, or whatever you like. I guess if you put it out in a pan first and see how much they drink it would give you an idea of how much they want/need, but it might also act as a laxative if they have too much. Having said that, a laxative is a good thing once in a while, like a fast or cleanse or detox. I doubt they'd continue drinking it to excess day after day.

If possible, you should watch her and see when she poops... Does it come out alongside the prolapsed bit, or does it come directly out of it? That will answer which sort of prolapse it is... Hopefully. It might not answer anything.

The fact that you got an egg out of her makes me wonder if this is an intestinal prolapse rather than the usual sort. I don't know but I've not heard of a prolapsed hen laying. With sheep, if there's an intestinal/bowel prolapse they literally cut off everything that sticks out and sew the edges back onto the anus. But some folks use a pad and harness combo, especially with a uterine prolapse, and push back in whatever is hanging out, and hold it there. Some staple or sew the relevant orifice mostly closed. Not sure any of this would help with a bird.

An old treatment for prolapse in poultry was this: Massage the prolapse with grease, carefully press it back into position, and place a pad of cotton wool soaked in witch hazel extract over it, then lightly bind to the body. (I know, easier said than done, and getting pure witch hazel anythings is not so easy sometimes.. And the adulterated stuff could do damage). Anyway the treatment would of necessity involve fasting for a day and then the next day feeding a very light diet of mainly laxative and toning things like greens, bran mash, molasses and buttermilk. Nothing that encourages normal strength bowel movements, so no serious solids or normal feed. During this treatment stop feeding everything that encourages laying (so no seaweed or layer feed). I don't know what sort of grease they meant. Personally I'd probably use a little cold pressed olive oil. If it's not cold pressed it's already 'dead' (as in its active properties are cooked into oblivion) and would go rancid quickly.

Best wishes and I hope she recovers.

LazyOaks: Did your hen ever get fixed? Just ran across this thread. We had one that looked the same way. I don't know what was prolapsed, but I did what Post #4 said, but not checking for an egg. She had already laid one that day and continued to lay each day or 2 after. I just poked whatever it was back into the vent after washing her good and kept checking it. It never came out again. Weird things, these chickens!

Can anyone tell me what gleet is? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom