Hen suddenly died!

wroblow

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 16, 2008
Portland, OR
When I got home from work today one of my hens was face down, dead in the middle of the coop. There had been an egg with a smear of blood on it this morning, but I didn't worry about it because I was told it was normal and I didn't see anything that looked like prolapse.

She wasn't acting any differently yesterday or this morning.

She did have what looked like some torn lining around her butt and it was a little bloody, so I assume she died of prolapse and I just didn't see it?? There were little droplets of blood around the coop.

could it have been some kind of disease that I need to treat my other chickens for?? I don't want to lose another one. It's been super rainy and their run has been pretty muddy for the last couple of weeks, could they have something from the muck?

Sorry about your girl. Without opening her up to examine how much damage or disease (if any) there was it is hard to say. You might consider adding some sand to your run (especially within a few feet of the walkway/door of coop - helps keep the coop dry and the feet somewhat cleaner).

Take care.

I don't know what may have happened to your hen, but I do want to say I'm sorry. Hope you find some answers.

I also wanted to say I'm sorry for your loss
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom