Hen suddenly went blind

She's not getting better and I am not taking her to a vet but I can't stand to see her suffer so we are taking her to get euthanized and a necropsy to see what was wrong with her

YOU mentioned charcoal,for poison how do you administer it and where could I find it.I don't have a need for it.but just in case.i like to be prepared for any emergency.

she is eating and drinking and laid an egg today, i am hoping that she improves if not i will take her to a state agency here on long island to get euthanized and necropsy 70 bucks for both i will post any developments thanks for the feedback

Quote: Very good idea to have it on hand. It saves kids (and adults) as well as animals. It's what they use in hospitals for an overdose of pills of many sorts. A bellyful of charcoal. Many farmers would never let themselves run out of a ready supply. Saves a life, a vet bill (and a necropsy bill) in many cases every year.

It can be bought in capsules and loose powder form in many health food stores but plenty of produce stores stock it and it can be found online. Online is probably the best bet because you can buy bulk.

It doesn't need any additives to make it work. I mix it with water to make it go down easier but that's it. I don't follow any precise mix rules, just enough to not be see through in the water, and not so much it's like mud or paste. Dogs, sheep, chooks and horses are probably the creatures most often requiring charcoal to save their lives. Children too. Often it's the only thing on hand that will do the job in time.

You can use good charcoal/carbon from a fire, but don't use treated wood or other burned items. It has to be natural as possible. Activated carbon is the usual sort sold. It's not the cheapest stuff but it doesn't take much to work and one lot will last you a long time. On average, even a teaspoonful can save a life. I generally give less to chooks, more to larger animals, and when we burn natural wood I smash up thoroughly burnt carbon lumps and scatter the tiny chips through the chook cages and they help themselves whenever they need it. Takes them a long time, like a year, to go through a few handfuls of well-burnt bits. Not all woods are good for this. I'll try to find a good list sometime.

this has just happened to me except for the blind bit her head is boobing back and fourth is yours struggling to walk and get up

She was eating and drinking and laid a couple of eggs, but she clearly wasn't getting any better. I took her to the Cornell duck lab in Eastport LI and had her euthanized for 10 bucks. All the other birds are fine.

Back
Top Bottom