Hen teeters, stumbles, and sometimes falls

Our chicken is is showing these same symptoms. Did Speckles recover? Did vitamins seems to help?
Unfortunately, she did not recover. I had to euthanize her, and took her to the Maryland State Animal Health Lab for Necropsy. She had some kind of viral disorder that was either Marek's disease or Avian Leukoproliferative Virus, or perhaps one other. In order to find out exactly which one would have taken more involved testing, which I didn't pursue. She was vaccinated against Marek's, but evidently that only minimizes the likelihood of getting the disease; it doesn't prevent it. She was shot through with tumors, and I wound up wishing that I had euthanized her earlier. The worst part is that I've been advised not to introduce new birds to the flock, since the other birds may well have it, and are living with it. They all seem normal, but they could spread it to any new birds that are introduced, putting them at risk of winding up like Speckles, which I don't want to risk. The way the vet put it was "if you like chickens, you don't want to add to your flock." 'Nuff said... :-(

Unfortunately, she did not recover. I had to euthanize her, and took her to the Maryland State Animal Health Lab for Necropsy. She had some kind of viral disorder that was either Marek's disease or Avian Leukoproliferative Virus, or perhaps one other. In order to find out exactly which one would have taken more involved testing, which I didn't pursue. She was vaccinated against Marek's, but evidently that only minimizes the likelihood of getting the disease; it doesn't prevent it. She was shot through with tumors, and I wound up wishing that I had euthanized her earlier. The worst part is that I've been advised not to introduce new birds to the flock, since the other birds may well have it, and are living with it. They all seem normal, but they could spread it to any new birds that are introduced, putting them at risk of winding up like Speckles, which I don't want to risk. The way the vet put it was "if you like chickens, you don't want to add to your flock." 'Nuff said... :-(
I think Nambroth said she had success with Amish raised birds that were raised within a mile or so of where she lives (she had Marek's in her flock). I got a confirmed case of Marek's in my flock a few months ago, the rest of the flock is vaccinated but were obviously exposed. I've considered trying local Amish birds who are possibly more resistant or immune, because it's basically survival of the fittest for them.

I'm sorry you're where you are. I'm there too. :(

Back
Top Bottom