Hen that hangs back...?

HappyHensFarm

Hatching
9 Years
Sep 12, 2010
Hi Everyone!
So after YEARS of wanting chickens, we finally got our ladies about two weeks ago. We have 11 BR "pullets" (quotes bc we think there are at least two roos in there) who are about 12 weeks old.

The Ladies are AWESOME; they come running to me when I come to check on them (They free-range on 4 acres...but really just about 100ft radius of the barn! LOL!) but when I come out with treats--watermelon, grapes, grasshoppers, etc...one of them always hangs back in the barn and doesn't come out to partake in the food. I've even gone in to the barn after the rest are distracted with their treats to hand deliver a treat to her.

Is this normal? Why is she hiding? Why isn't she excited to get in on the treat action like the others? Does this mean she's the lowest on the pecking order or something?

Any advice would be much appreciated!
Thanks!
Candace

They're just like people in that they all have different personalities. Some are more assertive (not necessarily top dogs either...my lead hen is my most mellow hen), some more friendly, some more b@tchy, and some more shy
idunno.gif

I have 3 EE's and 1 SS from the same brood that will spend the entire day inside the coop if I didn't chase them out. They are higher up on the pecking order than the majority of the others, but seem very shy and timid. When I open the gate to let everyone out to free range, the 3 EE's will run back into the coop like they are scared to death to leave the fenced in enclosure. The SS at least will go out with the older ladies, but she definately is torn between her loyality to her "click" and wanting to free range. I feel badly that these 3 don't seem to even enjoy free ranging. They just stand huddled against the outside fence wanting back in. Very strange...

Back
Top Bottom