Hen that refuses to eat

MeganSteffens

In the Brooder
Aug 17, 2016
My sex link hen is sick and refuses to eat. I think it'd be beneficial to her if she'd eat at least a little something compared to just drinking water constantly. I've offered her everything she loves to eat. Any ideas how I could force her to eat something?

Last edited:
Typically, when they lose their appetite it's because they're either broody or not feeling well. Check her droppings to be sure they're normal and parasite-free. Yellow and foamy is not normal.

If she's standing hunched up, feathers all fluffed and head tucked in, she's definitely ill. Any descriptions will be helpful in determining what's wrong.

If she's broody, she'll be pulling feathers from her belly and acting a bit territorial, not lethargic.

No she isn't broody. She lays down everywhere and will hardly walk. When she walks it seems like it's a struggle for her. She also sort of put out her wings when she walks. Her abdomen feel hard but I think it may have always been like that. She will drink but won't eat. Her crop feels normal.

Her poop is normal if a but more of a liquid. No she isn't broody. She lays down everywhere and will hardly walk. When she walks it seems like it's a struggle for her. She also sort of put out her wings when she walks. Her abdomen feel hard but I think it may have always been like that. She will drink but won't eat. Her crop feels normal.

That actually describes the way broody hens walk around. When they are broody, or about to go broody, they don't do much walking. And they do tend to just plop down, sit and fluff and flare at the other birds as they go by.

My broody hens walk differently and make noises. They stay out and peck around for a 10-30 minutes and then run back in to the nest box.

Back
Top Bottom