1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen that refuses to eat

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MeganSteffens, Aug 18, 2016.

1. MeganSteffens

MeganSteffens Just Hatched

Aug 17, 2016
    My sex link hen is sick and refuses to eat. I think it'd be beneficial to her if she'd eat at least a little something compared to just drinking water constantly. I've offered her everything she loves to eat. Any ideas how I could force her to eat something?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
  2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    What are her symptoms, and could she be broody?

3. islandgirl82

islandgirl82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2014
    Maine
    Typically, when they lose their appetite it's because they're either broody or not feeling well. Check her droppings to be sure they're normal and parasite-free. Yellow and foamy is not normal.

If she's standing hunched up, feathers all fluffed and head tucked in, she's definitely ill. Any descriptions will be helpful in determining what's wrong.

If she's broody, she'll be pulling feathers from her belly and acting a bit territorial, not lethargic.

4. MeganSteffens

Aug 17, 2016
    No she isn't broody. She lays down everywhere and will hardly walk. When she walks it seems like it's a struggle for her. She also sort of put out her wings when she walks. Her abdomen feel hard but I think it may have always been like that. She will drink but won't eat. Her crop feels normal.

5. MeganSteffens

Aug 17, 2016
    Her poop is normal if a but more of a liquid. No she isn't broody. She lays down everywhere and will hardly walk. When she walks it seems like it's a struggle for her. She also sort of put out her wings when she walks. Her abdomen feel hard but I think it may have always been like that. She will drink but won't eat. Her crop feels normal.

6. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    That actually describes the way broody hens walk around. When they are broody, or about to go broody, they don't do much walking. And they do tend to just plop down, sit and fluff and flare at the other birds as they go by.

7. MeganSteffens

Aug 17, 2016
    But when she walks she looks like she's in pain. Do they walk differently when they are broody?

8. mbailey78

mbailey78 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2015
    My broody hens walk differently and make noises. They stay out and peck around for a 10-30 minutes and then run back in to the nest box.

9. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    I'll take some video of my current broody out and about tomorrow morning and try to post it. It's definitely different from usual.

10. MeganSteffens

Aug 17, 2016
    She wasn't broody. She passed away this morning. Thank you for your help though

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by