Hen tried to kill chicks... Updated: They both died.. =(

pamperedpoultry

CHICKENFIED
10 Years
Jan 28, 2009
(south West) Virginia
To make a long story short, I hatched 2 dif batches of seramas one in the incubator and one under a broody hen, the hens hatched first and when the ones that hatched in the incubator hatched I put those 2 with the other babies and hen, this would of made the 2nd night and 2nd day they have been with her, however when ever I came home from work just a few mins ago, I seen the 2 that hatched in the incubator laying at the door of the pen. I honestly thought from a distance that they were headless. As I got closer I noticed just bloody and both moved. I brought them in the house and took a warm rag and cleaned them up just a bit to get a better idea of the damage. From their eyes back and their necks are completlely bald and pecked! one looks to have a place that is still bleeding, I would take pic's but You dont wanna see. Their both alert and can walk. ones a lil weaker than the other.

I'm compleltely lost as of this point on what to do, I've gave them water and food and have a heat lamp on them. The only meds that I have on hand as far as ointment is terrimycin eye oinment or triple antibodic oinment and I dont know if that would hurt or help them..

I feel horrible its my fault for stickin them in with her, but she's taken babies that aren't hers before... Please Help if you can. Thanks

Last edited:
Quote:
Do you happen to have pedialyte? If not, you can add a bit of sugar to their water and that will help give them a boost! Heat is a good idea, I have used bag balm on open wounds but not for chicks. Maybe someone else can chime in and help you out there! Hope this helps a little!

Quote:
How much sugar? or water? lol You have one of those little waterers? Maybe a teaspoon?

ha ha sorry sugar. Yeah I have one of the small chick waterers.

I'm more worried about the one, it seems a lil weaker. I'm unsure about eye damage on it as well, one eye is still closed and the other is slightly open.

The more perky one now has both eyes open.. I so hope they make it. If they do I dont care what they turn out to be they'll have a forever home here..

Do I need to put something on them or leave it alone is my biggest question, and then if so what do I put. I only have terrimycin ointment that you put in eyes and triple antibodic ointment for people..

Do not attempt to put them back in. Been there done that.
They are your babies now. Watch her close she might turn on the others as well.....mine did. I was told she was done being a mother. They were her chicks
It started with a peck on the head then she held the chick down with both of her feet and started to peck it's head. Lucky I was there or they would be dead.
If you can get them electrolytes and vitamins in their water do it. I did 2 teaspoons to a cup of water.

Back
Top Bottom