Hen troubles!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by silkielover88, Dec 7, 2014.

1. silkielover88

silkielover88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2014
    Addison NY
    Yesterday my neighbors hen has poop stuck to her butt, so we came over and cleaned it up and gave her some probiotics. She started eating and drinking right after cleaning. Today she's got poop stuck in her feathers again and it's black and liquid like. Is it normal? I have usually only seen this in chicks not hens. What should we do?

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Snip all the dirty feathers off, and give the area a wipe with some olive oil

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would also deworm the chicken (and flock) with Valbazen or SafeGuard Liquid Goat wormer 1/2 ml orally, then repeat in 10 days. If the droppings stay like that, and are smelly, it could be a case of enteritis which can be treated with many different drugs such as Amoxicillin, Tylan, Aureomycin,Penicillin, Gallimycin, and others. Here is a link to read about it: http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/101/necrotic-enteritis

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Can you post a picture of her poop?

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by