Hen trying to go broody or not?

Was wondering how to officially tell if she is or not.

There are several different signs that a hen might be broody. I've had hens that displayed most of them and never truly went broody. Some do that for a couple of weeks before they decide if they are going to go full blown broody or not. My test to determine if she deserves hatching eggs is that she has to spend two consecutive nights on the nest instead of sleeping in her normal spot. Not one night, not every other night, but two consecutive nights. That test may fail me some day but it hasn't yet.

I agree with Aart that the behaviors you describe are "normal", at least as normal as anything to do with chickens can be. I once had a hen that took three hours on the nest to lay her egg. Much longer than the others. She was also a nest hog, she would not let any other hen hop in the nest with her to lay. It's not that unusual for me to see three hens piled in one nest laying together so her nest hog behavior was different.

You never know when a hen will go broody but what you describe does not seem to me that she is even close. Each chicken has its own personality, that's what makes Chicken TV better than anything on satellite, cable, or network. She's just showing her personality.

Have had more than a few 'loungers'.....and the tucking of eggs is normal, IMO.

Here's my go-to signs of a broody:
Is she on nest most the day and all night?
When you pull her out of nest and put her on the ground, does she flatten right back out into a fluffy screeching pancake?
Does she walk around making a low cluckcluckcluckcluckcluck(ticking bomb) sound on her way back to the nest?

If so, then she is probably broody and you'll have to decide how to manage it.

Yeah "all night" is the biggest sign along with being puffed up (unless it is a young bird just sleeping in the nest box).

Op one challenge with broody hens is that they do NOT like to have their nests moved, but they really should have private nests that can be penned off for sitting on eggs and raising tiny chicks. All sorts of things go wrong in open nest boxes.

If you do plan to have a broody you might want to think about modifying your nest boxes so you can move them or pen them off before one goes broody for real. Or just go the lazy route and buy them chicks to raise so they can sit anywhere they like on dud eggs for 3 weeks.

There are several different signs that a hen might be broody. I've had hens that displayed most of them and never truly went broody. Some do that for a couple of weeks before they decide if they are going to go full blown broody or not. My test to determine if she deserves hatching eggs is that she has to spend two consecutive nights on the nest instead of sleeping in her normal spot. Not one night, not every other night, but two consecutive nights. That test may fail me some day but it hasn't yet.

I agree with Aart that the behaviors you describe are "normal", at least as normal as anything to do with chickens can be. I once had a hen that took three hours on the nest to lay her egg. Much longer than the others. She was also a nest hog, she would not let any other hen hop in the nest with her to lay. It's not that unusual for me to see three hens piled in one nest laying together so her nest hog behavior was different.

You never know when a hen will go broody but what you describe does not seem to me that she is even close. Each chicken has its own personality, that's what makes Chicken TV better than anything on satellite, cable, or network. She's just showing her personality.
Thank you, she’s low gal on the totem pole so she probably just wants to take her time. None of the other hens bug her when she’s on the nest so she’s probably just enjoying the quiet time. I know I sure do!

Yeah "all night" is the biggest sign along with being puffed up (unless it is a young bird just sleeping in the nest box).

Op one challenge with broody hens is that they do NOT like to have their nests moved, but they really should have private nests that can be penned off for sitting on eggs and raising tiny chicks. All sorts of things go wrong in open nest boxes.

If you do plan to have a broody you might want to think about modifying your nest boxes so you can move them or pen them off before one goes broody for real. Or just go the lazy route and buy them chicks to raise so they can sit anywhere they like on dud eggs for 3 weeks.
Thank you! I’ve already got ideas on how to move her nest if she does try to go broody so that she’s safe & her babies.

Thank you! I’ve already got ideas on how to move her nest if she does try to go broody so that she’s safe & her babies.
Best to gather all eggs every day, they don't need them to go broody, then move her before you give her fresh fertile eggs.

When I have a broody I wait until she's been in the nest most the day and all night for 2-3 days...along with those other signs I posted.

Then I put her in the broody enclosure with fake eggs in the floor nest, she won't like being moved, but if she is truly good and broody she will settle onto the new nest within a half a day.
Then I give her fresh fertile eggs and mark the calendar.

I like them separated by wire from the flock, it's just easier all around.
No having to mark eggs and remove any additions daily, no taking up a laying nest, no going back to the wrong nest after the daily constitutional.

I remove barrier about one week after hatch. The chicks are usually safe it's the broody who has to 'fight' her way back into the pecking order...which can be quick or take a few days.
Lots of space helps for re-integration.

Best to gather all eggs every day, they don't need them to go broody, then move her before you give her fresh fertile eggs.

When I have a broody I wait until she's been in the nest most the day and all night for 2-3 days...along with those other signs I posted.

Then I put her in the broody enclosure with fake eggs in the floor nest, she won't like being moved, but if she is truly good and broody she will settle onto the new nest within a half a day.
Then I give her fresh fertile eggs and mark the calendar.

I like them separated by wire from the flock, it's just easier all around.
No having to mark eggs and remove any additions daily, no taking up a laying nest, no going back to the wrong nest after the daily constitutional.

I remove barrier about one week after hatch. The chicks are usually safe it's the broody who has to 'fight' her way back into the pecking order...which can be quick or take a few days.
Lots of space helps for re-integration.
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom