Hen trying to hatch eggs on soil

Salguero

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 9, 2016
My girl Yolanda recently decided she wanted to be a momma. We don't have a rooster so I ordered feltized eggs online. They just arrived today and I placed them under her. Though just enter my mind and need help and/or suggestions. She decided to nest in a potted plant. It's dark safe and I guess she's conformable there. My concern is the heat. Will the eggs be warm enough there to be able to hatch. I know dirt is cold and I wouldn't want to lose those babies due to the heat escaping. Will she be ok there or should I try to move her. She's not very social so I think she'd be upset if I placed her anywhere else. Please help. Pictures attached.

Attachments

• 16556016939463789792332204956773.jpg
    16556016939463789792332204956773.jpg
    613.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 16556017843975984531189881999248.jpg
    16556017843975984531189881999248.jpg
    850.6 KB · Views: 4
Usually the mother hen takes a daily food and water break so during that time you could place some straw under the eggs for some extra cushion, just make sure to replace it every few days. Moving her wouldn’t be a good move because sometimes they don’t like the spot you pick and will leave the eggs to go back to their spot, so it’s best to compromise with the momma hen.

If it suits her and you don't mind her being there, why not? The plant appears to be a succulent, so can it survive 21 days without watering, or can you cut back the water and only add water to a dish the pot sits in? I'd add some nesting material for her to nest in - mulch, with some wood chips or straw, so there's some insulation from the dirt.

What a funny place to sit!

The eggs will be fine in the dirt. Just make sure the area is as safe as possible from predators, other chickens, and people. Another thing. Is it possible that you could move the food and water somewhere else? The problem with food being near the nest site is she's not going to get off the eggs as much to stretch and will probably end up pooping in the nest. I understand if you can not. Overall, it seems like a safe place to nest. Hopefully your plant makes it too.

Usually the mother hen takes a daily food and water break so during that time you could place some straw under the eggs for some extra cushion, just make sure to replace it every few days. Moving her wouldn’t be a good move because sometimes they don’t like the spot you pick and will leave the eggs to go back to their spot, so it’s best to compromise with the momma hen.
Thanks. I haven't seen her get up or out for days now, that's why I just placed the food and water next to her because I was concerned for her health. I'll take the food out and try to keep an eye out. I'll try adding straw. Thank you!

What a funny place to sit!

The eggs will be fine in the dirt. Just make sure the area is as safe as possible from predators, other chickens, and people. Another thing. Is it possible that you could move the food and water somewhere else? The problem with food being near the nest site is she's not going to get off the eggs as much to stretch and will probably end up pooping in the nest. I understand if you can not. Overall, it seems like a safe place to nest. Hopefully your plant makes it too.
She's safe. Plant is in the back and yard is gated. Only thing we ever get is stray cat but you can't see her in there. I'll move the food and water in hopes that she gets up for a bit to stretch. I'll probably just add straw when she leaves to eat. Hope my plant makes it my my girls Yolanda is much more important. Thank you.

If it suits her and you don't mind her being there, why not? The plant appears to be a succulent, so can it survive 21 days without watering, or can you cut back the water and only add water to a dish the pot sits in? I'd add some nesting material for her to nest in - mulch, with some wood chips or straw, so there's some insulation from the dirt.
I'll definitely try that. Thank you!

Our feral hens almost always nest on the ground tucked away in vegetation. I'd let her be the judge. Food and water is also going to attract vermin to her nesting spot and she might not appreciate it. She probably knows where to go for food when it's needed. She might not get off the nest at all for the first week or so.

For now she is probably fine.
I had a broody who didn’t come of the nest. And I decided to lift her off every 2 days if there where no signs of poop or eating from the chick feed (better than layer feed for a broody).
I always had feed and water near. If a broody gets of the nest, she immediately starts to eat and after that she will stretch her leggs. Half an hour of the nest is quite normal.

Don’t be surprised if the outcome is poor. Shipped eggs have a lesser outcome in general.
( Just a remark for a next time and other readers who think about ordering eggs by mail : the eggs should have rested 24 hours after shipping before you lay them under a broody. Bedt with the bold side up. )

An early advise for over 20 days if the chicks hatch. Stray cats love to catch chicks. A broody can’t pay attention the whole time. So I would make a safe place around her or move the broody and chicks to a safe place asap after they hatch.

Back
Top Bottom