Hen very sickly this morning

This morning she seems the same. Her crop is pingpong ball l sized and seems to have some stuff in it still though she only ate some mealworms yesterday. It's... squashable. Like, not hard and not watery. I don't know why there'd still be stuff in it unless it's just stones or whatever. Or, she's not digesting things quickly. But, I don't know much about it.

Any advice... from anyone?

Coccidiosis can be a silent killer, there are 7 many different strains chickens can get. Does she still currently lay? How old is she? She could be egg bound (if she's currently laying still) or the wheezing could be from heart related problems. She also could have vent gleet. Is her abdomen swollen at all?

hunched in the nesting box. She's had wheezing problems since we got her from a farm last summer and occasionally nI have to keep an eye on her because she seems poorly and needing extra attention, she was getting skinny before this and acting weird, I had her in for some days over the coldest days but she improved after the whole flock was wormed and got her energy back. She had been laying some weird soft eggs so 2 days ago
Very hunched and just standing in one spot, having horrible yellowish diarreha, and her comb is purple and her wattles are almost shrivelling up.
Her crop is pingpong ball l sized and seems to have some stuff in it still
I agree with @sourland I would lean toward reproductive issues as well.
Feel inside her vent for an egg. If she's been having trouble with soft shelled eggs she may be having trouble passing one. I would get some more Calcium into her and see that she's hydrated. Feel her abdomen between her legs below the vent for fluid or swelling.

If she's having trouble with an egg, then likely that's the reason her crop is not completely emptying.
Some folks give there hens a soak in a warm epsom salts bath if they are not too lethargic (soaking can send them over the edge) or you can place her in a steamed up bathroom or provide her with a warm heating pad to see if that helps. Calcium and Hydration is the first things I would do though.

Keep us posted.

This morning she seems the same. Her crop is pingpong ball l sized and seems to have some stuff in it still though she only ate some mealworms yesterday. It's... squashable. Like, not hard and not watery. I don't know why there'd still be stuff in it unless it's just stones or whatever. Or, she's not digesting things quickly. But, I don't know much about it.

Any advice... from anyone?

I’d give her some calcium and some castor or coconut oil to loosen up the crop contents and help with lubrication of reproductive system (you can add some oil around the vent area as well.) I had a similar issue and had to do the same. Ended up with a giant egg and a giant egg sized poo next to it- holy mother of crap!! LOL sending lots of love your way!

Thanks for the responses. Her crop is definitely like dough.
When is the last time she laid an egg?

I would work on getting her crop to empty. While most crop issues are a symptom of an underlying condition, imho, it's important to try to keep it moving the best you can so it doesn't turn sour. I would start out with giving coconut oil and massage careful that she doesn't aspirate fluids. Keep her hydrated and go from their. The info in this article is what I use when treating a bird for crop issues.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

No egg in last 3-4 days. This morning her crop emptied (much massaging and oil yesterday), she ate and drank a little bit (very not enough though) and is feeling mischievous enough to jump out of her box and explore the room.

No egg in last 3-4 days. This morning her crop emptied (much massaging and oil yesterday), she ate and drank a little bit (very not enough though) and is feeling mischievous enough to jump out of her box and explore the room.
Is she pooping o.k.?
You mentioned she was laying weird soft eggs - were they shell less eggs or something like Lash egg?

It's good the crop emptied! See if you can encourage her to eat a little wet feed and drink.

Back
Top Bottom