1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen vs. paper bag

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kmwright, Jun 17, 2011.

1. kmwright

kmwright Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2010
    Winters, CA
    Does anyone else find it sad but slightly amusing that hens LITERALLY can't find their way out of a paper bag? Mine do this ALL THE TIME and I'm like "just walk an extra 2 steps and you will be out!!!" They get "stuck" behind a chair. Or inside their open run. Or behind a small piece of fence. I swear. They can figure out how to jump my 6 foot fence when they want but can't figure out how to get around a chair.

2. shortstaque

shortstaque Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2010
    Bucks County, PA
    They say they are "bird brained" for a reason. My favorite is, they can figure out how to escape from the fenced run, but not how to escape back into it. I have one chicken who is the exception to this rule. She regularly jumped out of the run, and one day I saw her jump back in, go lay her egg, and then jumped back out as soon as she was done! I always wonder why they can't seem to remember where the door is to get out (as if it moved since yesterday), but manage to find their way back home when the sun goes down.

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I have noticed that very few of my chickens have a "reverse" mode. They go into something and if they cannot turn around, they can't get out. They don't know how to back up! Onward and Forward, left or right, but no reverse. I don't know how many chicks and adult chickens I have rescued.

And, unfortunately, lost two over the past two years, when they kept trying to go forward and got further stuck, then flapped themselves into a panic and died before I got home from work.

So I do fence and "small space" patrol every single day. Just in case.

4. kmwright

kmwright Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2010
    Winters, CA
    Quote:YES! Mine will jump the fence in to my garden, then when I go to chase them out, they get amnesia and can't figure out how to get back out. Sheesh. [​IMG]

5. doublejfarm

doublejfarm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2011
    Modoc, SC
    My birds are hard headed. I fixed them a nice dust bath with DE in it in the covered part of their run and they ignore it and make there own in the dirt on the open. Go figure. But at least the are happy. They like to make their own dust bath and then strive to see who gets to dust bathe next to Maccaronni my rooster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by