Hen vs rooster

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by alexa009, May 6, 2017.

Hen vs rooster

Poll closed May 7, 2017.
  1. Rooster

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Hen

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. alexa009

alexa009 Overrun With Chickens

Which is your favorite? Hen or rooster?

2. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I only have hens. Can't have a rooster. Actually, I'm really not supposed to have the girls either. [​IMG]

3. ILuvMyFlock

ILuvMyFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2017
    On the Farm
    I love them both honestly, so I can't really pick a favorite.

I have a yard full of at least 20 roosters, and 30 or more hens. I also raise geese, ducks, turkeys, and guinea fowl. I couldn't imagine my life without my birds, they have kept me sane in a world that could potentially make one insane lol. Anyway I always wanted a farm growing up, and since I moved to NC like 4 or so years ago I have been living my dream.
    Hens and Roos both have amazing qualities, the hens lay the eggs and mother the chickies and that is quite important indeed, but you see the roosters also play an important role too, they insure that the hens are kept safe. My roosters let everyone know when a predator comes by, so I always recommend to anyone to at least consider owning a rooster or two.

4. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    I like both.

I bet you readily ever lose hens with that many roos Iluve my flock.I dont like too many.Randy roosters make the hens backs bad and I personally have had bad experiences.I had a alpha roo kill his son and teo brothered roosters try killing eachother,how do you do this so well without any confrontation.

5. ILuvMyFlock

ILuvMyFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2017
    On the Farm

I keep the Roos and the hens separated unless I want to breed them. As for the Roos I raise them around other Roosters so they rarely fight. If they do indeed fight my geese or I break them up. I treat them like my kids, I hold them, pet them, and talk to them so most of my birds have a tame streak.

Last edited: May 8, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by