Hen vs rooster

angiels71

Chirping
9 Years
Aug 5, 2013
We just got our first chicks ever. Three of them. Sexed but only 90% accurate. My white leghorn seems bigger than the black australorp and Rhode Island Red. How soon would it be obvious if one is rooster?
[/IMG][/IMG]

Hi everyone thank you! No red combs a d was told they are all three same age. The white one doesnt seem WAY bigger as they are each growing so fast all of a sudden. I will post clear pics in two more weeks. Here is a better one of the only one I am slightly concerned about

When less than 2 weeks, we can look for the size. In general, the larger size, bigger head and shank has better chance to be a Male.

When about 4-6 weeks, the size difference will be more obvious here. In addition, the Male usually has a redder comb.

When 2 mos or more, the back feather will start and may be long enough to show the sex. The Male normally has a sharp point at the tip of the back feathers.

I hope these tricks help. Still, I'm always amazed at the Poultry industry where employees are trained to sexing the 2 day old chick.

Back
Top Bottom