Hen waddling with swollen belly

Good news bad news. I drained about 80-100 ml of clear fluid off her belly. I will try and drain from another site tomorrow. It was not yellow or even tinted yellow so I am not sure what the cause is. Hopefully I can drain it and it will go away but I doubt that is the case. Any thoughts?

Well, that does not sound like ascites. There is another condition called cystic right oviduct which can cause a fluid filled cyst in the abdomen. It is basically an right ovarian cyst with clear colorless fluid. Normally the right ovary shrivels and atrophies. The left ovary or oviduct is the only functioning one where eggs develop and are laid. So, I would think that is what is happening. Cystic right oviduct is common in chickens who have had infectious bronchitis. Here is some reading about that:
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poul...uctive-system/cystic-right-oviduct-in-poultry

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/6/diseases-of-poultry/221/malformations/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-cyst-and-internal-layer-graphic-pics.499502/

Thanks you guys. I hope she heals from this but I think these things come back even if I treat her. As long as she remains active I’m ok with draining her belly every now and again to keep her comfy. But if she starts to get worse I’ll do the humane thing and cull her. :(

So um interesting update, I really don’t know my hens well by the way. Yesterday, I tried to drain her abdomen again and was only able to get maybe 5ml of yellow cloudy fluid. Yes, I freaked out thought she was gonna die and I gave her peritonitis despite using only sterile needles and syringes each time and cleansing the site with alocohol. She also started squirting out clear liquid out her butt making me think I punctured her bowels or something. And she seemed to be leaking some fluid around her abdomen I assume it was from the punctures I made. Luckily I remembered I had some Tylan. I gave her 0.5ml sub q in her thigh. Came back today to see if she was dead or alive and I did not recognize her. She was not waddling anymore her butt was a bit distended but soft and pliable not nearly as swollen as yesterday. But her skin was really bruised up. I poked her about 3 time yesterday trying to get the fluid out.
I gave her another 0.5ml of Tylan tonight did not try and drain her as the swelling has gone down significantly. For all the forums I could find it was Tulane 0.5ml x 5days. Should I continue this? Any other thoughts? I don’t think I am in the clear yet but think we are on the right path.

Tylan is more for a respiratory infection. You can give injectable Tylan 50 orally after removing the needle. Dosage is 0.25 ml (1/4 ml) per pound 3 times a day for 3–5 days. Baytril might be something you would want to try, since it treats more types of bacteria.

Hens sometimes keep draining from needle sites after draining ascites fluid. It is an invasive procedure, and there is a potential risk of infection. The cloudy fluid might mean that she has egg yolk peritonitis or pus in her belly. It is hard to know. I haven’t drained any hens, but I have found ascites when doing a necropsy.

Unfortunately I cannot do the dosing 3x/day so I may just stick with the sub q for right now unless someone advises for im. I can’t get that other drug readily where I live. I’ll have to take her to a vet then get a script and those are really to pricey. I don’t like the idea throwing random abx at animals but unfortunately this is the best way can do right now for her. This is the first time I have used an abx on any of them since they were chicks 2 years ago and don’t plan on using it regularly. Wish I knew about that other abx you were talking about 3 years ago could have probably saved my entire flock that had mycoplasma. Good news based on a necropsy of another chicken I had put down it was free from mycoplasma so maybe that means my entire flock is free of that nasty disease.

Back
Top Bottom