Hen wants to be inside

crystalsc

Songster
Jul 20, 2023
Greenville, SC
Is it normal for a hen to want to come inside your house? I’m not sure if it is because she really just wants to be with us, curiosity, or if she’s needing something that I’m not figuring out. But one of my four barred rock ladies follows me to the house and will dart inside the door with the dogs. She walks around the house and just explores. The others have done it once or twice but this particular hen does it every day. Thoughts?

You are both way more tolorent than me. We are a ranch, and my coop is away from my house, I would not want a chicken in the house.

As to the question, if you make in a win for her to come in the house, she will. If you give her a mock chase, and make a harsh sound, she will want out and not come back in.

If she has food, water and shelter - she is not lacking anything.

Mrs K

The coops are far, far away from the house. They have both no interest in coming inside, and no knowledge of where or what inside is. The only time when one of the chickens came inside was when she got soaked in the rain, and I got a towel to help her dry. She then spent the night in the apothecary. Your lady finds the indoors very interesting it seems

Is it normal for a hen to want to come inside your house? I’m not sure if it is because she really just wants to be with us, curiosity, or if she’s needing something that I’m not figuring out. But one of my four barred rock ladies follows me to the house and will dart inside the door with the dogs. She walks around the house and just explores. The others have done it once or twice but this particular hen does it every day. Thoughts?
Hello! I have chickens that I’m very close to I let inside my house almost everyday for little visits with me. They absolutely love inside my house but also the outdoors too! I know many people do not want their chickens in their house but for me personally I am 100% ok with it and yes they will periodically ask to come inside the house to just spend time with me. I think it’s very touching your hen is interested in your house I take this as a sign she wants to be with you. For me and my flock, it’s normal just because I spend so much time with them and they were raised inside my house. If you allow your hen as well try looking into chicken diapers! But if you really don’t want this to happen she’ll lose interest if you stop letting her inside

Back
Top Bottom