Hen wants to lay down

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cboriskin, Mar 10, 2017.

1. cboriskin

cboriskin Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2011
    My 5 year old hen appeared to be slowing down the past week. She lays very few, if any eggs now. She is usually the first to run into the run when I throw treats into the pen, but the last week or so, she was always the last. Two days ago, I picked her up to put her back and she walked passed the treats and sat down. After some research, I thought maybe she was egg bound. I soaked her bottom for 20 minutes in Epsom salt the last two days and kept her inside the house. She is not eating or drinking that I can tell. I was told to do an exam to see if I can feel an egg up her vent, but I couldn't feel anything. She is not pooping. There was someone last week that had horrible diarrhea, I'm betting it was her. I have offered her alfalfa, water, scratch, oyster shells, layers feed, water and have syringed water with calcium into her mouth.
    Any idea what this might be or other things I can do for her. She seems to be alert and she will stand and walk for a few steps before sitting down again.

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Is her crop empty since she is not eating/drinking?
    She's not pooping at all?
    Any swelling of the abdomen - bloat, hard, soft, squishy, fluid filled?
    Does she walk like a penguin?

Do the best you can to get her hydrated - if you have them add some poultry vitamins in her water. Drop water beside her beak to see if she will take it in, syringe or tube fluids into her - whatever you need to do to get her hydrated.

It could be a number of things from crop issues to internal laying/reproductive disorders like Egg Yolk Peritonitis, Ascites, Salpingitis, cancer or tumors.

3. cboriskin

cboriskin Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2011
    Thank you for your response. She died a couple days ago. I did syringe water into her beak, but probably not enough. She actually died in my arms.

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm sorry for your loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by