Hen was eggbound and now is really tierd! HELP

Jesseschickens

Songster
10 Years
Jan 4, 2010
somewhere in Pa
My hen Peep is about a year and a half old she always laid nice eggs, But last night when i went up to lock her and her 15 other sisters up i found her under the coop when it was only 10 degrees out there was a broken egg under her so i brought her in for the night. Today she seemed happy until i took her outside again. I took her up and put her on a roost and she laid a rubber egg. when i came back down from the coop i found a deformed egg shell that must have come out when i was carrying her. She is just standing in her coop with her fethers puffed up. she drank some water and ate some scrambled egg i made her. She is a red sex link.

I would bring her inside and let her rest up... This way you can be sure she is eating and drinking. It sounds like she could benefit from some oyster shell. It seems she isn't egg bound- which is good news. May just need a few days to get back on her feet. Good luck! Keep us posted.

Definitely bring her in and give her a queit, comfortable stress-free place to rest up. With all her creature comforts (food, water) close by. A small unbusy bathroom will do, a small room, a large dog cage.....
It's too cold out right out now to try to keep warm and deal with not feeling well.
If she has broken shell in her you may have an infection issue that will need treatment. (when you say broken egg do you mena that there were bits of shell that came out? or not sure?)
What is her diet?
Is oyster shell available at all times?
JJ

Yeah, keep her in. You know they definitely let you know when they need some extra TLC.

for eggbound i have read here to soak them in a warm bath for 20 min. to relax the pelvic muscles to help pass the egg. also, put olive oil in and around the vent to lubricate the passage way.

Back
Top Bottom