Hen was off her eggs for a while- are they all dead now?

shannoncat

Chirping
8 Years
Nov 8, 2012
She's been sitting on them since Sunday and we had a barrier in the coop to keep the other chickens from her, but she managed to get out and then was unable to get back in. I left for work at 7am and got home and checked on them around 1pm so that's the max amount of hours she could have been off her eggs. I have no idea how long she was actually off them for. We've since moved her and her eggs to a different place but I just want to know if I have any hope at all of anything hatching from them.

What is your weather like?

I'd say don't worry! You will know for sure if a few days when you candle..right?

Oh yeah, I've had hens get off the eggs for an undetermined amount of time. I'd let her set. Maybe candle them at 10 days of incubation and see if there is any development.

This has occurred twice to me before I started isolating my broodies on eggs. The silly Silkies would get confused and sit in the wrong nest box after they did their daily poop, eat and drink. Both times the outside temps were in the mid 40s and the eggs were cold to the touch. To my surprise and delight, ended up with 100% hatch both times.

This has occurred twice to me before I started isolating my broodies on eggs. The silly Silkies would get confused and sit in the wrong nest box after they did their daily poop, eat and drink. Both times the outside temps were in the mid 40s and the eggs were cold to the touch. To my surprise and delight, ended up with 100% hatch both times.

Ditto - same w/ my broodies from last year. I had estimated my hens being off for at least 7-8hrs. Hatch rate was pretty good - if memory serves me well, only 1 or 2 eggs did not hatch, while the other 7-8 did.... I think what was helpful was that we hadn't hit lockdown yet.

Back
Top Bottom