Hen wheezing and gurgling

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sec, Jul 28, 2010.

1. sec

sec New Egg

Jul 19, 2010
    Hi

Can anyone help?...

One of our Speckaldys has started wheezing - well actually it sounds like a very, very quiet foghorn. On closer inspection, she is also gurgling, and has a foamy, watery fluid in her eyes. Her poo is also a dark orange/red.

Is this some kind of respiratory illness? Is there anything I can give her?

We've only had her for three weeks - she's about 16 weeks old. I've separated her from the other three (one more Speckaldy and two younger Buffs). They have straw in their house, could it be this which is causing the problems?

I'm located in Cornwall, UK.

Thanks
    Sarah

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  2. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    I hope you've found your answers .. if not, try searching using the search feature top right .. or googling the symptoms ..

I'm sorry I can't be of more help .. but I CAN bump the thread for you!

3. Chickengal505

Chickengal505 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C
    giving you good (((vibes))) and a BUMP BUMP BUMP

4. mjelse

mjelse Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2008
    I am having a similar problem. I bought four pullets from someone and two have that foghorn sound you speak of. they cough, and one is wheezing and sometimes gasps for breath. I don't think she is getting enough oxygen. She is also not eating much. The other eats but I have to work at it, constantly bringing her something new. I put tetracycline in their drinking water (got at feed store) but they aren't drinking much, so I mixed it in with a can of corn and some scratch and put it in the food processor. they ate some of that. Can't get them to the vet until Friday. If the more ill one does not eat tomorrow I will force feed her some yogurt. I hate to do that because she gets much worse when stressed. I am trying to spend time with them as they do not know me, and at least that will reduce their stress when I care for them.

5. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    I never had much luck with Tetracycline. I always use Tylan injectable. I use it orally. You can find alot of info if you search Tylan on BYC. I'm just not comfortable telling ppl how to treat their sick birds. I'm not a vet. Sorry . Good luck.

6. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    I have several chicks that are weezing and deep breathing along with a discharge from the nose and an eye swollen shut. I called the chicken vet in our state today and she told me to use Tylan and wanted it used in powder form either in water 10 days on 5 off 10 on or feed for 10 days. I had to buy a big bottle of the stuff cuz no one here had it except in injectable form. Jeffers was the place. $42.00. I had tried vet ex and a few antibotics but my vet said it was viral. Good luck!

RedRoosterFarm

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by