1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen who lays in the run not nesting box!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Totes Quackers, May 18, 2011.

1. Totes Quackers

Totes Quackers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Melbourne
    G'day all... I have 6 hens, 3 who have started laying. My 3rd laid her first egg today.. however I found it in the run, not the nesting box? My other 2 lay their eggs in the same box, I have 3 boxes so not sure why she chose outside in the run??
    TIA!
    [​IMG]

2. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

She will get it eventually. My EE layed her first in the run, but did find a good use for the boxes soon enough [​IMG]

3. BANTAMWYANDOTTE

BANTAMWYANDOTTE Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Kentucky
    First of all, congrats on getting your first eggs from each of them! They are happy on their environment!

She is young and inexperienced, you may have to show her what the boxes in her coop are for. Eventually she will learn. I have found that having and older, more experienced hen to show the younger hens how she does it. Most of what chicks learn comes from mama and the older flock members, if they were in a brooder then they have never been taught how adult chickens behave.

So, now you have to teach them.

I would try putting a different bedding in the nest or lower one nest. Even try adding nests. Chickens are very curious about "new" objects or changes in their environment. Put wooden or ceramic eggs in the nest as well when you change it. (golf balls work too) This will cause her (and the whole flock probably) to hop in and out of the nest and look around. You will peak her interest in the the boxes and what she can use them for.

Also check her for health problems, she may not be able to get in the nest.

It is more likely that she is just young and somewhat careless about her eggs. After all, she is still very young and needs to learn the correct way that this is done. Just hang in there, she will catch on I am sure.

Hope this helps!

Timothy in KY

4. carolinasculpture

carolinasculpture Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    I had one do the same thing. I put the plastic eggs in the b oxes and then she figured it out. I did see her standing at the nest boxes eying the plastic eggs for quite some time before she finally hopped in. it was pretty comical...OH, is THAT what I am supposed to do with these things?! [​IMG]

5. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    I had the same thing happen. Seems like when they are young and inexperienced, the need to lay takes them by surprise and they lay where they are [​IMG] It gets better, don't worry!

6. Totes Quackers

Totes Quackers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Melbourne
    Thanks everyone! I went out to collect eggs today and noticed the hen is question was in the nesting box... waited patiently and yay, egg laid in the right place and my son is super excited because his chicken 'Brian' is now laying delicious eggs! Go Brian!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by