Hen Whooping anf HeeHawing all Day long...not a roo....

cocosandy

Crowing
15 Years
Jul 14, 2007
Stamford, CT
I have 25 Americuanas that I raised over the winter...one is definitely a roo, and a beautiful one at that, but this hen has been whooping and saying Hee Haw all day and evening long for weeks.
When she does this she dramatically moves her neck and head as if she is compelled to do this, and she sometimes keeps her beak open after. Its like she is possessed!
I looked down her throat to see if anything is wrong, and I wormed her a couple of times with different wormers. I dusted her for mites because I saw a tiny spot of them...and she seems to be sort of thin, even though she always eats and has a full crop at night.
I think that maybe she is one of those half roo/half hens....
These birds are late to lay...and Ive had a problem with mites in a different coop; this hen was the first of this group that I have found any sign of mites on...and Im using sevin dust and frontline spray because poultry dust hasn't kept the mites away in the other coop...its been a real problem around here this spring.

Anyway, that's neither here nor there; the other coop stops laying if there is even the hint of a mite...that coop is just beginning to lay nice little green and pink eggs, but this hen is still whooping and heehawing...there is a huge alpha roo in there and the other roos also visit, and she doesnt act at all like a roo....I dont know what to think.

has anyone seen this and is it possible that this is some sort of illness?

Thanks-

Mine was sort of doing that same thing and what I did was coat a piece of bread with olive oil/veggie oil and feed it to her. Also make sure grit is available at all times for her. Sounds like she may have something stuck possibly. Mine did great after feeding it the olive oil soaked bread. Good luck!

my NH hen "honks" very loudly when the EE sits in the nest... guess she doesn't want her in it!!
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom