hen will not gain weight

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by snowflake, Jan 26, 2012.

1. snowflake

snowflake Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Belding Michigan
    I have a 3 1/2yr. old hen, BO. went broody last fall, sat for almost 2 months finally hatched 1 chick. found out later we had some parasites and cocci. Have medicated 3times for both got a clean bill of health from the vet. All look good but the 1 BO. hen She is skin & bone. eats and drinks well. If I bring her scrambled egg or any special treat, she eats like she is starving. but does not gain weight. any suggestions on what the problem may be?

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    No clue on what it may be but have you added electrolytes. Have you tried wet dog food or Cat food?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  3. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

Maybe her insides were damaged by the worms? You are sure this one is clean?

4. snowflake

snowflake Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Belding Michigan
    I have given them electrolytes, ACV, Garlic, pro-biotics, Can have another fecal done but she should be. Have treated each bird with fenbendazole, later with ivermectin, ,,,sulfadimethoxine and Corid for the cocci. Have treated 3 times in the last 2mo. all the other birds look fine?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by