Hen will not leave nesting box

sgas2002

In the Brooder
Jul 4, 2021
I have 2 Easter eggers, an Olive Egger and an Olive Silkie mix. The Olive Silkie mix will not get off the eggs she lays. I have a pasta spoon that I use to move her around and scoop the egg out from under her. I put a plastic easter egg in nesting box to try to encourage them to lay now that they have started should I remove it? I have gone from 2 to 4 eggs a day to 1 because I can't get hen off nesting box. Any remedies?

Last edited:
I have 2 Easter eggers, an Olive Egger and an Olive Silkie mix. The Olive Silkie mix will not get off the eggs she lays. I have a pasta spoon that I use to move her around and scoop the egg out from under her. I put a plastic easter egg in nesting box to try to encourage them to lay now that they have started should I remove it? I have gone from 2 to 4 eggs a day to 1 because I can't get hen of nesting box. Any remedies?
She is broody. You need to break her with a broody breaker to get her to "quit"

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/outdoor-broody-breaker.76592/

Can I see a picture of your silky mix? I just hatched two from a lavender olive egger Roo and a white silky who is my broody hen right now. We got 6/6 today

Back
Top Bottom