Hen with 2 vents (GRAPHIC PIC) UPDATE!!!!!!

the pic, though graphic, is interesting. i was thinking the vents would be in a vertical, not horizontal relationship to each other so i was surprised to see the actual configuration.
i'd keep a close eye on her to make sure everything seems to be working properly in terms of elimination and such. it would be bad for one vent to become impacted, infected, etc. and you might not know about it for awhile if the other vent was still functioning properly.

at any rate, what an interesting gal you've got there!

and just one more thought:
you may not want to breed her just to avoid any possible deformities in the next generation. although she may have a long, normal life her offspring might not be so lucky if this is a genetic issue.
but that's just my two cents . . . grain of salt and all that . . .

Most people don't think of Vets working with poultry but.....most vets do work with pet birds.
A local vet might be able to answer your questions.
My vet has a parrot in her office. One day when I had the dog in I ask her about treating birds, since at that time I had just gotten a cockatiel. She looked at me and laughed and told me she was Avian Certified and pointed me to her Certificate.
Who would have thought.

you should call guines mabe they will put her in the guines book for her unique oddity, she could be famous. :)they have books with all sorts of chcken oddities in them. i think their site shows some of them on it like 4 legged chickens and such.

heck mabe mc murray would offer to buy her back at a good price,lol. i can see the headlines first hatchery to offer double egg production breed.
big_smile.png

hey there is a museume i think in kansas that might be interested in her when she passes some day they have a poultry museaume that keeps oddities and preserves them for people to visit and see.

my guess would be she is not laying because the organ that produces the egg is inoperable. i would think since she is a silkie which is small she would only have the more central vent useable the other would only be partly there. usually if that happens in humans with both male and female parts one is not fully developed and most times they are sterile in the part not develope but fertile in the fully developed one. i'd think since she used both vents to poo as a chick that part is connected, the reproductive part may not be. it's possible one vent could be male and one female and the male part just never developed enough in which case that could cause her to be totally sterile. i don't think she would release an egg if that was the case.

ur girl is unique i think it's awesome!!
silkie

Ok...I found out today that both vents work...at least for pooping...What now? Is it possible she won't lay? She'll be one year in March...When do silkies start laying?

When I first took a peak at the picture, my first thought was that her vent somehow got fused together in the middle and that she actually has one vent with a piece of skin in the middle. If that is the case, she may die when she gets ready to lay.

Maybe you should try again to find an avian vet for her.

Jean

Last edited:
I've been trying, and trying! I can't take her to Laramie (which is where U WYO is...My DH thinks it's stupid!

I'm hatching silkie eggs, and don't want any more hatchery birds! That's be great if I was ordering again, but I'm not...NONE of the birds I've gotten from hatcheries are even breeder quaility. Some of them are beautiful, yes, but not up to standards! I'm just worried about her health!

Back
Top Bottom