Hen with a Poopy Bottom

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by teriz1091, May 4, 2016.

1. teriz1091

teriz1091 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2015
    Kansas
    Our Barred Rock hen has developed an issue of her fecal matter getting stuck to the feathers on her bottom. She is still able to pass her waste & lay eggs without issue, but her waste gets stuck to her bottom. We caught her tonight so I could get a better look at it, & the poop glob is about the size of a large baby carrot in all, & is clumped together up to her skin. I was going to attempt to cut it out, but could not get scissors between the glob & her skin. I didn't want to hurt her so I left it alone for now.

Our other 2 hens do not have this problem. She's a young hen, only about 8 months old. The hens eat regular layer feed. I do give them treats of the occasional suet block for birds & kitchen scraps.

Any suggestions on how to deal with this without causing her harm would be much appreciated! Also, is this just something that happens, or is it something that a change in her diet may help?

2. 0wen

0wen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2016
    Southwest Virginia
    Get a dish of warm water and soak her bottom in it for 30 seconds or so. The poop should loosen enough to be able to wipe it off with a paper towel/rag/whatever.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by