Hen With An Odd Growth In Her Nose??

This yellow colour looks actually very tick-like to me... that's why I immediately thought it could be one!

If it is a tick, that would at least not be very worrying : it will eventually fall off on his own when its belly is full...
(Let's just hope it would not take too long, because your poor hen deserves to be able to breath easily and normally...)

But I would be you, I would put some vinegar on a Q-tip (is it really the word?), and I would put it on this growth for one good minute. To at least see how it reacts...

This yellow colour looks actually very tick-like to me... that's why I immediately thought it could be one!

If it is a tick, that would at least not be very worrying : it will eventually fall off on his own when its belly is full...
(Let's just hope it would not take too long, because your poor hen deserves to be able to breath easily and normally...)

But I would be you, I would put some vinegar on a Q-tip (is it really the word?), and I would put it on this growth for one good minute. To at least see how it reacts...
Good suggestion. I will try when I get the chance and report the results back to you! Thank you so much! (And yes, that is the word) lol

Good suggestion. I will try when I get the chance and report the results back to you! Thank you so much! (And yes, that is the word) lol
I poked at the growth/or mysterious bump for a couple minutes with a vinegar Q-tip. I did not notice any little legs, or moving. If it’s a tick, I’d be really surprised. I’ll go back out later and if it was a tick, it will have probably moved or dropped off. For those who want to see, here is the normal nostril:

Attachments

• IMG_9211.jpeg
    IMG_9211.jpeg
    561.9 KB · Views: 8
(You did good by posting a picture where we can see the other nostril of your hen!)

No chance that could be corn, right...?

I would keep using vinegar.
Putting vinegar on a Q-tip, and then putting this Q-tip on the yellow growth - for a good minute each time, three times a day.

I would also delicately flush her nostril with warm water, each time after using the vinegar on the growth...
(Trying to flush the warm water directly on the base on the growth - exactly where it is attached in the nostril...!!)

...Ticks don't always move when bothered.
I am not telling you it IS a tick, but just so you know...
(I hate these things, but I sadly have to deal with them several times per year... so I can tell you some of them sometimes are so full they can look very dead although they are nevertheless very alive and healthy...)

If the growth is not a tick or a corn, I don't know what it is.
It looks much too fine to be a tumor (I think?), and much too smooth and "healthy colored" to be dirt or canker or fowl pox, but I am no expert...

...Since I don't know, I would just keep using vinegar in case the growth is covered by skin, so the vinegar could at least dry it, and maybe help to empty the growth if needed...
Until I find another solution, at least! But I would not wait to find it, because I would worry the growth is not a tick, and so be able to enlarge the nostril by growing.

(I did some research, but clearly not enough : I did not find anything resembling your hen's condition for now. Sorry.)

(You did good by posting a picture where we can see the other nostril of your hen!)

No chance that could be corn, right...?

I would keep using vinegar.
Putting vinegar on a Q-tip, and then putting this Q-tip on the yellow growth - for a good minute each time, three times a day.

I would also delicately flush her nostril with warm water, each time after using the vinegar on the growth...
(Trying to flush the warm water directly on the base on the growth - exactly where it is attached in the nostril...!!)

...Ticks don't always move when bothered.
I am not telling you it IS a tick, but just so you know...
(I hate these things, but I sadly have to deal with them several times per year... so I can tell you some of them sometimes are so full they can look very dead although they are nevertheless very alive and healthy...)

If the growth is not a tick or a corn, I don't know what it is.
It looks much too fine to be a tumor (I think?), and much too smooth and "healthy colored" to be dirt or canker or fowl pox, but I am no expert...

...Since I don't know, I would just keep using vinegar in case the growth is covered by skin, so the vinegar could at least dry it, and maybe help to empty the growth if needed...
Until I find another solution, at least! But I would not wait to find it, because I would worry the growth is not a tick, and so be able to enlarge the nostril by growing.

(I did some research, but clearly not enough : I did not find anything resembling your hen's condition for now. Sorry.)

Firstly, (I don’t think it’s corn, but that would sure be funny if it was!)

Secondly, such great advice!! Please don’t feel like you have to throw away your day researching for me - you’ve clearly done plenty! I did not expect you to dedicate yourself to this but thank you so much, it is nice to have somewhere to start since I was at a loss. I did a bunch of research last night in addition to combing through similar cases here on the BYC, but none quite matched up.

For now, I will treat it like it is a tick and dab it with ACV, because it is the magical remedy and should be enough to deter a tick, right? Anything to shrink the growth would be nice to open up that nostril a little more. And rinse with warm water via syringe.

I agree that it doesn’t look like fowl pox or a sign of an ailment, though I am watching out just in case it’s a sign of something worse. I don’t think of a tumor when I look at it either. I will keep a close watch on her, and I really hope it’s not gonna get any bigger as it’s already blocking nearly half of the nostril. I will post again if I notice any changes. (Again, thank you so much!)

Quite possible, and I hope that’s all it is. I will keep an eye on it and post if I notice any changes.
Hi, I stumbled across this post while researching. I have a hen qith something very similar protruding from one nare. It almost seems like excess tissue. How is your hen doing? Any updates?

Thanks such for sharing your experiences!

Hi, I stumbled across this post while researching. I have a hen qith something very similar protruding from one nare. It almost seems like excess tissue. How is your hen doing? Any updates?

Thanks such for sharing your experiences!
Yes, of course! It’s been a couple months, sorry for not responding sooner. The growth in my gal’s nose eventually dropped off without treatment. It was just excess tissue. She appears completely healthy, and the growth didn’t impede too much with her ability to breathe.

Back
Top Bottom