Hen with angry bald bottom

Finelyfound

Chirping
Jan 1, 2016
Blue Ridge Mountains Virginia
D70A2A5D-72B8-46E9-B108-58766E43CCEF.jpeg FC21C8AC-C2A5-49A4-A9E7-8D89EE117F4C.jpeg 19B00B01-C8DD-46AD-894A-E5AEBB9B5315.jpeg 18mth old Copper Marans Hen has lost the feathers on her bottom and the skin is red, dry, swollen and angry looking. The swelling is fairly soft. She is otherwise fine, took me forever to catch her and she fought the whole time I was holding her. The photos are crummy b/c I was holding her and she was not cooperating. She looks worse in the photos. It is not nearly as swollen as it appears in the photo. In the last photo I am holding her down on the ground . But it is very red and dry. We have been having extemely cold weather here, this weekend it’s supposed to warm up. We have a young Roo who has recently come of age and I am noticing several of my girls have mysterious random bald spots. I have only had chickens for 2yrs so am very much an amateur. Is it possible the Roo did this to her? What else would cause this type of irritation and swelling. I took a close look while I had her pinned down and I didn’t see anything that looked like parasites. Thank you in advance. Jocelyn

This is under her tail, her “bottom”.
I have 19 hens, 1 young Roo.
Coop is 12x12 horse stall. Run is 20X6 covered.
I am feeding Nutrena Layer Feed dry. They previously were fed fermented feed, but since my daughter moved back home into the guest room near the laundry I can’t ferment my feed in the laundry room any longer.
I have on occasion noticed a hen missing feathers in the same area but never to this extent or with the irritation.

This is under her tail, her “bottom”.
I have 19 hens, 1 young Roo.
Coop is 12x12 horse stall. Run is 20X6 covered.
I am feeding Nutrena Layer Feed dry. They previously were fed fermented feed, but since my daughter moved back home into the guest room near the laundry I can’t ferment my feed in the laundry room any longer.
I have on occasion noticed a hen missing feathers in the same area but never to this extent or with the irritation.
I suggest avoiding layer feed.
Other than that, is it around the vent? Under her is not normal.

View attachment 1239992 View attachment 1239993 View attachment 1239994 18mth old Copper Marans Hen has lost the feathers on her bottom and the skin is red, dry, swollen and angry looking. The swelling is fairly soft. She is otherwise fine, took me forever to catch her and she fought the whole time I was holding her. The photos are crummy b/c I was holding her and she was not cooperating. She looks worse in the photos. It is not nearly as swollen as it appears in the photo. In the last photo I am holding her down on the ground . But it is very red and dry. We have been having extemely cold weather here, this weekend it’s supposed to warm up. We have a young Roo who has recently come of age and I am noticing several of my girls have mysterious random bald spots. I have only had chickens for 2yrs so am very much an amateur. Is it possible the Roo did this to her? What else would cause this type of irritation and swelling. I took a close look while I had her pinned down and I didn’t see anything that looked like parasites. Thank you in advance. Jocelyn

IMO molt...see the new pin feathers all over her bottom? the skin is so delicate that the redness is likely just some sun/wind/cold irritation.

It is not likely the Roo's fault.

I like it that she's feisty, and not ill :)

Most of my hens molted late fall, but I have 2 who are molting now. This girl looks good with the exception of her bottom, she’s not lost any other feathers. The weather has been awful and they have been choosing to stay inside so it does not surprise me that they may be picking at each other. I’ll keep a close eye on her. Thank you

Back
Top Bottom