Hen with back feathers all gone-- what to do?

Weasleymum

Songster
11 Years
Aug 1, 2008
Virginia
I have a flock of 6: 5 hens and one roo. Of the hens, one is a Buff Orpington who is apparently the bottom of the pecking order. She's being mated so frequently that the roo has scratched off all of her back feathers-- it's been going on for awhile but suddenly today it's much much worse; you can actually see the poor girl's skin. What to do for her? I know I should separate her from the flock and I have a small, one-chicken-sized house, but we're in a cold snap and I think it's too cold for her to sleep alone. Bringing her into the house is problematic, but we could do it somehow. Is there something I could put on her back that would protect her, maybe even discourage the rooster? (I'm thinking like a sweater or something) Or, would doing something to him help-- trimming his nails or something?

Separating her might actually cause her more problems, as when you re-introduce her, the other hens will likely really beat her into submission!
I'd recommend getting a hen saddle for her. Most hens tolerate them very well!

Search for "Hen saddle" or "hen saver" or "hen apron" and you will get a lot of results. You can make one yourself, or buy one. There are even people here on BYC that make and sell them, if you check the "everything else for sale" section! :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom