Hen with bare rump please help!

dodochick92

Chirping
5 Years
Dec 8, 2014
portland maine
I have a production red hen that has lost feathers on her rump around her vent. She has been acting normally eating, running around, laying ect. I felt it and it was a little warm and it felt kind of dry. Haven't seen anything like that on my other two hens. If someone could give me some advice that would be great

Attachments

• WP_20170510_12_53_12_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170510_12_53_12_Pro.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
Could be from picking. Did she have a messy bum recently? Sometimes heavy caked poop chunks will pull the feathers out. It doesn't look like anything I would worry about.

I would quietly watch the flock to make sure no one is feather picking. Another cause could be she's rubbing them off either on the roost or while sitting in the nestboxes.

I have a production red hen that has lost feathers on her rump around her vent. She has been acting normally eating, running around, laying ect. I felt it and it was a little warm and it felt kind of dry. Haven't seen anything like that on my other two hens. If someone could give me some advice that would be great

mine have that same problem in the summer months when they molt in the fall they get there feathers back

I have been watching them over the last week or so and I haven't seen any of them picking. I think she did have a poopy butt though. Will her feathers grow in now or when they molt again?

I have been watching them over the last week or so and I haven't seen any of them picking. I think she did have a poopy butt though. Will her feathers grow in now or when they molt again?
Chickens tend to look rougher as the season progresses. Sometimes the feathers grow back in, especially if they were fully pulled out and not broken off, and other times it takes until the fall molt.

Back
Top Bottom