Hen with broken leg..healing time?

Hopalong

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 6, 2011
I have a laying age white rock hen that was mauled by an unknown assailant (I think a dog, but we never did see) on Mother’s day. My DH determined her leg to be broken below the hock, so we splinted with popsicle sticks, medical tape and vetwrap. She has been casted this way since May 9th. She has been in a wire crate with daily doses of wormies, buggies, yogurt, vitamins and her regular laying ration (She has continued to lay regularly). Most recently, she has been spending more and more time with the flock (under supervision), to the point that she has been receiving regular “attentions” from our rooster, and the other hens do not pay her any attention. Though she doesn’t walk “well”, she gets around well enough that she can get wherever she wants to go. We are even considering letting her roost with the flock at night. My question is this: How long does her leg need to be splinted? I am not worried about straightness of the limb or anything like that. I don’t want to unwrap and have her flail about and rebreak the leg, but I also feel that the splint may be interfering with her regular gait. What is the recommended length of time to heal a broken bone? I have used the search function, the avian medicine pdf, and have searched the internet without finding a definitive answer. Suggestions, please? Many thanks

I know it isn't an emergency. Does anyone have a recommendation for healing time?

4 to 6 weeks. But I would take the splint off to make sure the skin is healthy underneath. If it looks good, you can re-splint it.
Hey I was just wondering since my hen broke her leg yesterday, how often do we need to take off the splint to check on it?

Back
Top Bottom