Hen with broken wing

Hmm, how are you forcing her to drink? You may want to let her figure it out. The papaya and other treats may have had enough moisture for her.
I’m slightly dipping her beak in a bowl of water
I thought that the treats might have enough moisture but I decided to give her water just incase

She’s worst. Not eating too much, a lot more tired.
Can’t use her leg really. Trying to use it but failing.
I’m wondering if I should kill her. I don’t know if it is fair to keep her alive

I shelled some sunflower seeds and she ate them. Got her a slice of papaya which she isn’t too interested in but she pecked it a bit. Forced her to drink some water. She ate some feed earlier today.
I’m wondering if she injured her leg quite badly during the night because it seems like she can’t use it. Should I do something to the leg?

She’s still alive somehow. She’s interested in food but isn’t eating it. Should I tube feed her? I’ve never had to but if it could save her I would.
I asked some people what they think happened and multiple people think it was my male duck.

Yeah, it's not advisable to keep drakes with hens. They can try to mate with hens and seriously injure or kill them. Chickens are not built to deal with drake genitalia, not to mention the size difference.

I'm wondering if she has internal injuries or maybe it's an illness and not related to the drake. Either way, if she's suffering, euthanasia might be the most merciful way to go.

I'd definitely separate your drake from your chickens, though, if possible. If that is what caused this, it will likely happen again.

Yeah, it's not advisable to keep drakes with hens. They can try to mate with hens and seriously injure or kill them. Chickens are not built to deal with drake genitalia, not to mention the size difference.

I'm wondering if she has internal injuries or maybe it's an illness and not related to the drake. Either way, if she's suffering, euthanasia might be the most merciful way to go.

I'd definitely separate your drake from your chickens, though, if possible. If that is what caused this, it will likely happen again.
I can’t really separate them since I freerange them. I got the ducks a while ago and don’t really want to get rid of them.
The ducks have their own area to sleep in during the night (a metal barrier separates the chicken side to the duck side) but this hen sometimes sleeps on the nestboxes on that side since the ducks don’t use them and the other hens hate her.

Maybe I will kill her. I considered it yesterday but I decided to leave her for one more night to see if she got better.

I can’t really separate them since I freerange them. I got the ducks a while ago and don’t really want to get rid of them.
The ducks have their own area to sleep in during the night (a metal barrier separates the chicken side to the duck side) but this hen sometimes sleeps on the nestboxes on that side since the ducks don’t use them and the other hens hate her.

Maybe I will kill her. I considered it yesterday but I decided to leave her for one more night to see if she got better.
I'm sorry.... She's a pretty little thing. Only you can decide if ending her life is necessary. Good luck. You certainly did your best to help her.

I'm sorry.... She's a pretty little thing. Only you can decide if ending her life is necessary. Good luck. You certainly did your best to help her.
I’m going to kill her soon. I feel like she’s given up, but she still struggles when I pick her up - meaning it would be hard to tube feed.
I’m going to get another female duck for my drake (hopefully) today and see if that makes him less around my hens

Back
Top Bottom