Hen with broken wing

bheila

Songster
11 Years
Feb 8, 2008
Kent, Wa
I have a hen with a broken wing, I'm pretty sure it's broken up in the shoulder area. Is there anything I can do for her. I have already wrapped her wing close to her body with vet wrap. Is it even possible for it to heal. Should I just cull her? I am willing to give her 2 months to heal and see how things go. I just read somewhere recently that chickens bones done heal once broken. What do you guys think?

Sounds like you have it under control. I would wrap the wing in the same way as you have already done. Make sure she is eating and drinking well, and add vitamins and up her protein level if you haven't already. Separate her if you need to, if not I would leave her with the flock if they aren't picking her and she seems to be holding her own. Other wise separate to her own comfy place. Does she seem in any pain? If so regular aspirin can be added to her water. I think it is 5 to a gallon, but you might want to do a search to make sure that is correct. I use one baby aspirin to a pint waterer if I have them separated.

I have had one with a broken leg heal fine, but it did take about 2 months.

I did have her confined for a day but then decided that she could go back in with her buddies. No one is picking on her. She doesn't seem to be in any pain. She is still eating and drinking well. We'll see how it goes. It will seem like a long wait.

It does seem like forever when they are healing. But I bet she does fine, they don't seem to know that something is wrong with them most of the time. It just seems to make us worry instead. Love to hear an update as she progresses in her healing.

How is your chicken doing now. I have the same problem with one of my chickens and have done the same thing with her. Wrapped the wing and put her in a seperate cage to watch.
I hope your is better

Bumping this thread in hopes of an update, and because I also have a hen with (I think) a dislocated wing. It was hanging down sort of limp at her side and she couldn't really move or flap it. I think she must have tangled with one (or all?) of the feral cats we adopted an recently turned loose.

After reading this and a couple of similar threads, we wrapped the wing up close to her body and put some 1st aid tape around her. The dressing bugs her, but she gets around OK. She really wanted to be in her normal coop, so I let her sleep there since she's only with 3 other hens and they are nice to her. Everybody was settled down for the night so that seemed best.

So, bheila or herman2121 do you have any update on how your hens did? Any other advice on what to do for broken / dislocated wings would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom