Hen with bum leg

M

Member 671655

She was caught between a cage infor the meat chickens and the coop . Her other leg is fine but her left leg got bent in the wire . There is no open wound but I think she sprained it. She’s eating a lot and drinking and she had an epsom salt soak and is on a heating pad . She’s pooping perfectly too and she’s bawk bkawing, just not laying yet today. She’s 3 years old and a austrolorp

Attachments

• IMG_2747.jpeg
    IMG_2747.jpeg
    463.9 KB · Views: 35
Poor girl!

Do you have a photo of the leg?

Feel of it carefully, see if there's an uneven area that may indicate a fracture.

You may note some green bruising if she has light enough colored legs to see bruising (black and horn colored legs, it's hard to see).
Note any swelling as well.

If the leg is not swelling, then you can wrap to help stabilize if you wish, but if she seems to be resting fairly comfortably, see how gingerly she uses in the a.m.

Ime, depending on the severity, a sprain may take a couple of weeks to heal, and they get around really well.
A fracture will take about 6 weeks or so - just really depends.
Some folks give aspirin for a few days to help with pain, that's up to you. I usually do not give pain medication.

She was a rescue about two months ago and has had a pretty rough molting season as well. She’s happy chipper and chatty this morning. Not walking much but eating and drinking well and has very large poops didn’t lay yesterday or today

Attachments

• IMG_2784.jpeg
    IMG_2784.jpeg
    418.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2782.jpeg
    IMG_2782.jpeg
    377.8 KB · Views: 5
That's good news! I'm glad she's walking now, she may have just been sore and traumatized from being trapped. Sounds like she's going to be fine.

Did you find the egg?:)

Back
Top Bottom