Hen with Chicks Existing Flock

thefuzz4

In the Brooder
Sep 16, 2016
So my current flock is getting up their in age. We did our research and everything and decided yesterday to go buy a few chicks and use our current broody to raise them. All went smooth last night we gave her 8 chicks to take care. Today 1 is MIA we have no idea what happened there is no sign of her or anything just poof. Anyways the rest are doing good and momma is taking good care of them. We opted to go the route of leaving her in her box that she's been occupying which also happens to be the flock favorite to use. 5/6 of the hens ignored her and used the other boxes. But the smallest of the flock decided that she needed to share the box with momma. Needless Mom was not overly thrilled with this and pecked and told the other hen to leave but she was defiant. So I stood there and observed to see what this one would do with the chicks in her midst. As expected she decided that the chicks were not to be near her and anytime they would get close to her in the box she'd drill one. Piss off Mom, Mom pecks at this other bird other bird fights with Mom, chicks not happy ugh. So I decided to remove this other bird from the box and close the coop back off for now. I've left my coop closed today to all but Mom due to the fact that I have 2 nosy dogs who like to go inside the coop during the day. Older birds don't mind the dogs but not sure about dogs and chicks :).
Anyways I'm debating about moving Mom and the chicks into a small dog kennel that I can put out in the run that way at least she would be out of the house and then I can put their feed and water out there as well and just lock the kennel up at night. Sorry for all the rambling just trying to be as informative to all of you fine folk as I can be. I really don't want to totally isolate Mom from the flock with the chicks because once they are old enough to join the flock I just want it to be like they belong.

Will kennel fit into coop?
Is it big enough for feed water pooping space?
I put up a wire wall to segregate mama from flock, then take it down about a week after hatch.

Its a small kennel not sure if I could fit it all in there. But I do still have some hardware cloth left over from the coop build that I could use to isolate them into their own little area in the house where Mom could come out do her business and then go back in as well as allowing the littles to roam around without being pecked.

Back
Top Bottom