Hen with day old chicks has mites??? Question

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Silkie Sue, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Silkie Sue

Silkie Sue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2007
    Sarnia, Ontario
    my Silkie hatched some chicks on Saturday and i noticed today that she was crawling with mites [​IMG] her eyes were crusted shut and i felt so bad)
    i put the chicks in the brooder and bathed her and rinsed her and soaked her and still the mites were there.
    I got out the DRI-KIL ( which i hate) and dusted her after i dried her.
    how soon can i put her back with the chicks... will the DRI-KIl hurt the chicks?
    if anyone know please help
    thankyou
    Sue

2. chickenlover96

chickenlover96 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    put a shoebox full of sand in a corner of your coop and she will jump in it and she will dust bath and everything will be fine

3. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Sorry, but a simple dust bath isn't going to help a heavy mite infestation.

First of all, identify the kind of mite you're dealing with:

http://www.backyardpoultrymag.com/issues/2/2-5/Laura_E_John.html

Treatment will probably include treating the coop (the nestbox she brooded her chicks in is probably crawling with mites), and retreatment in a week or so to catch the eggs that will be hatching out new mites.

Check the chicks over, too. Mites can be deadly to chicks.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    In addition to what Elmo stated, you can use sevin dust on the chicks. Gently rub a small amount of dust on the chicks with your fingers. Be careful not to get any dust in the eyes, nostrils and mouth. You'll need to retreat everything again in 7-10 days as Elmo stated. http://ohioline.osu.edu/vme-fact/0018.html

5. Silkie Sue

Silkie Sue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2007
    Sarnia, Ontario
    Thanks guys.
    i checked her today and i still see some but they are not moving i did not see any live ones. She is in the brooder with the chicks and i have treated it as well. i have tomorrow off so i will take care of her home in the barn and will retreat in 10 days. thanx again for the info

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by