Hen with dead wing after being caught by wings on rope

Mohammadb

Hatching
Apr 9, 2020
Today I found my hen with a dead wing after it managed to jump and get caught in a high up, of rope that hung from the roof of the shed in a "u" shape. I found it hanging by both its wings, unable to reach the ground. It must have been up there for a few hours because when I got it down one of it's wings were swollen and red around the joints, and the wing was dead. I think there wasnt enough blood going to the wings because of how it was hung from the wings and the rope was pushing tightly up against the wing joints so it couldnt escape. Does anyone know if this will heal and if there are any treatments for this?

Welcome to BYC. Sorry for the freak accident with your chicken. She might have struggled to fee herself and broken it or suffered some nerve damage. You can let it try to heal hanging down, or wrap her wing in normal position against the body with gauze or vet wrap. Hopefully, some of the nerve can regenerate.

Welcome to BYC. Sorry for the freak accident with your chicken. She might have struggled to fee herself and broken it or suffered some nerve damage. You can let it try to heal hanging down, or wrap her wing in normal position against the body with gauze or vet wrap. Hopefully, some of the nerve can regenerate.
Yes do this :goodpost:

I would check for rope burn or any exposed muscles or bones. If she has any cuts I would wash them out and bandage them. Also check the wing for any signs of breakage. Leave her to rest for a few days and if it’s not looking any better I would try to amputate. Of course you probably shouldn’t amputate a wing by yourself, a vet would probably be a better option.
Hope she does better!

If the wing is still warm that’s good, it means that it is still getting blood flow. If that’s the case I would do like others have said, bandage it against her body and hopefully she’ll regain strength.
If the wing is cold it isn’t getting blood flow and the tissue will start to die. This is bad. She would eventually end up septic. If this is the case I would have a vet amputate, or euthanize.

Try pinching the wing. If there is no reaction from your hen than there is nerve damage. Difficult to tell how much the nerves could regenerate over time.

I've attached a splinting manual that will hopefully help. A figure 8 wrap and support against the body is what I would do if she's not able to hold it up. Let it rest for a while and see how it goes. I've had birds injured that did remarkable recovery's just given enough time and support. She may be very sore and bruised, and sometimes when they 'decide' that something doesn't work, it takes a while for them to realize that it actually still does. Hopefully nothing is broken, but imagine how sore you would be if you had hung like that for a while. Time can be a great healer. Make sure she's eating and drinking, and supplementing some vitamins for a few days might help. Nutri drench can help with appetite if she's not eating well.

Attachments

• Duerr_Splinting_Manual_2010.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 2
I think she will be ok with her flock, However, chicken will turn on the weak.I would watch her and see or isolate her where they can still see her.

I had a chicken that did that to her leg. She fell into one of those metal feeders and was there dangling for a few hours at least...She could not walk for 2 months and when I was about to lose hope, she regained the use of her leg so give your bird a chance to heal.

Back
Top Bottom