Hen with Diarrhea and Hardened Scab around Vent

copperhillfarm

Hatching
8 Years
Apr 5, 2011
Haymarket, Virginia, USA
Has anyone else had this experience??

I watched her vent everyday and it looked like it was closing up more and more. That will kill her if it closes.
Tried multiple tactics.

1. Tried soaking, cleaning off, syringing warm water to flush. Then put on vaseline daily. no go. Kept closing over.
2. Pulling off the scab. Left it raw.
3. After much searching on the site fund an instance of honey.
4. Am giving her homeopathic Silicea, my vet recommended this. Also, some Pro-bi Am also giving some yogurt in the am.
Putting honey on twice a day. According to my vet, the honey brings oxygen to the affected area whereas the vaseline closes out the oxygen.

Am hoping that the Pro Bi and the Yogurt will help the diarrhea, which is so acid, it appears to burn the vent and cause a very hard scab.

Since we started the honey two days ago, it looks a LOT better and much less matter around the vent.

Does anyone know what might cause this and how to cure it?

I was at my wits end until the honey. Thought she might have to be put down. Don't think she is laying any eggs!

thanks in advance.

Check her belly for hidden mites. You might not see them around the vent itself, even with a heavy infestation. Any time my girls get scabby vents, it's from mites. I take them in and run warm water from the kitchen hose sprayer (yeah, I know, gross...) over the vent for a few minutes and then the scab usually loosens. I usually have to blow-dry them, because it is freezing here... Ah, bonding with chickens...

Back
Top Bottom