HEN with EGGS

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lilrose922, Aug 7, 2013.

1. lilrose922

lilrose922 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2013
    New chicken owner have a hen she is in the pen with another hen and the rooster she has layed 14 eggs and is now sitting on then probably will be hatcking in the next 2 weeks but trying to find out befor thay hatch do we need to more her in a pen by her self now befor the chicks hatch or will that be on to stay in here with the other hen and the rooster after thay hatch ??? Please help

2. ChickenAndMore

ChickenAndMore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2012
    Texas
    Tonight you need to move her to her own pen. So the other chickens don't break or lay more eggs in her nest.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Or, you can leave her with her flock and it makes things nicer for the chicks to grow up with the flock, rather than re-introducing the hen and the half grown chicks later. I leave my broody hens with the flock when at all possible.

You do need to make sure eggs aren't being added by the other hen, though, or you'll wind up with a bunch of partially developed eggs [​IMG]
    I mark the eggs to be hatched with a sharpie and check under the broody every day or so and remove any unmarked eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by