Hen with extremely bloated abdomen

Rancher Hicks,

Thanks so much for the suggestions, and even hope.
She has worsened much since yesterday, but I will begin trying some of what you tried.

I appreciate your input.

I'm following this thread because I'm dealing with something similar. I lost a hen a few weeks ago, she was acting the same way yours was. So when a second hen started acting that way recently, I took some action.

I took mine to a vet because she is kind of a pet for us, more than our other chickens. The vet did an x-ray and found that she had ascites, and her gizzard and crop were full of something. There was too much fluid to see any eggs or much of anything else.

I was sent home with an antiobiotic (Tribrissen) which seemed to help the fluid in her belly. It's definitely gone down. She is still not eating and pooping normally, so she's still indoors with us. Now I am working on her gizzard issue. She prefers hard to digest foods, so maybe she has too much grit in her gizzard and needs to wear it down.

I am also treating her with Corid for possible coccidiosis because she has been sick on and off for months. I'm wondering if I missed it.

I realize it isn't much help, all of this, but maybe a vet could prescribe an antibiotic over the phone?

Good Luck.

Here is one of the hens that I drained:
Hen was cleaned with Chlorhexidine, had a 1" 18 gauge needle inserted and I syringed out about 500 ml of fluid.

This is another that died before I could drain her. Note that draining her would not have saved her, but she might have lived for another week or two. Necropsy pictyres here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...scites-and-eyp-very-graphic-necropsy-pictures

-Kathy

I just see a hens system like a plumbing system. Something in there isn't working right, but like I said in my research there are so many things that could be wrong, I just don't know.

I sure don't have the answers. I can only tell you what I did. She's still alive so I can only hope something I'm doing is helping. I intend to keep her out of the coop so the boys don't mess with her.

I can't afford a vet. I think most don't know much anyhow.

My research from when I had Guinea pigs is that they're (pigs) are so common and easily replaced not much study has been done on what can go wrong. I even got the Cornell Blue book on Guinea pigs. No one seems to know why they just up and stop eating and die.

We can all just do our best and hope for the best. (Oh and I believe in the power of prayer and I did lay hands on her like the bible says. I know if God sees even the sparrow that falls, (Matt 10: 29 ) he sees my chickens)

Love ya,

Rancher

Thank you for your thorough documentation and help.

Although I'm not sure I'd choose to because, well, what a crappy life she and I would both experience in so doing, how would I know how/when/where to drain her abdomen?

Thanks again for your insight.

Rancher,

I too am a person of faith, and have been speaking the Word over my hen and this situation. It's been frustrating not seeing the results that I "expected", but I press on.

I know I'm doing my very in "taking dominion" over my little part of this world with my animals.
smile.png

Thank you for your thorough documentation and help.

Although I'm not sure I'd choose to because, well, what a crappy life she and I would both experience in so doing, how would I know how/when/where to drain her abdomen?

Thanks again for your insight.
I understand how you feel, and based on my experiences here, the *best* you can hope for is that she'll live for a a year after draining, just depends on what's causing the fluids build up. Is she breathing through her mouth yet?

-Kathy

Last edited:
She's not breathing through her mouth, but she has lost weight.

Can you make a suggestion on how and where to drain her?

Thanks so much!

Thanks for checking in.

She's still in the house. I've brought her out a total of two times while I changed her cage and so she could get some fresh air with her sisters. She was glad to be out both times, but the last time another gal started a pretty good scuffle with her. She held her own for a bit, but I did finally put an end to it and brought her back in.

I believe I have discovered what essential oils to use to treat her, but I've also discovered that if I'm not extremely consistent, the issue does not continue to get better.
So, while her abdomen is still large, it does appear to be getting softer and a bit smaller. And she is also eating and drinking a bit more, and finally pooping more - still not as much she should, but her poops are now at least normal consistency and color.

I've not drained her abdomen as has been suggested because I don't know how, and do not want to hurt her.

Our family is tired of having her in the house, but no one can seem to bring an end to it all - especially now that I seem to have found a "magic button" with oils.

Further suggestions - bring em on! :)
Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom