Hen with extremely swollen eyes.

OutInTheStiks

Songster
10 Years
Jun 23, 2009
Thorn Hill, TN
1) What type of bird , age and weight. Andalusian pullet about 6 months old.
2) What is the behavior, exactly. First noticed her yesterday standing puffed up and lethargic. Seemed to be stretching neck out to breathe and some slight wheezing. Placed her into a seperate cage, came home this evening to the puffy eye thing.
3) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. Just the puffy eyes.
4) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. Nothing that I am aware of.
5) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Scratch, layer pellets and free ranging.
6) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Normal
7) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Gave her electrolytes and duramyacin in her water last night.
8 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Treatment will be here.
9) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. See below
10) Describe the housing/bedding in use. Moved the pullet into the main coop about a week ago. Closed into coop at night to roost, free range in a 33' x 33' run during the day, free range in the back yard during the evening. Bedding is pine shavings with DE.

Andalusian001.jpg

Andalusian002.jpg

Thanks for any input as to what might be causing her swelling and if/how to treat it.

pips&peeps :

I believe this is either MG or coryza. I would lean more towards MG.

I would cull, both diseases will make the bird a carrier.

I agree, MG.​

Back
Top Bottom